Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tones

Hi all,

Now i have a feeling this is way beyond me put ill ask anyway.

I want to be able to network only two computers wirelessly, they are only about 2 meters apart but dont have line of sight. So i was wondering if there's any cheap way to do it, without having to buy 802.11 network cards. Im no electronics genius, so is there anything im going to be able build easily?

Any info would be great.

Thanks very much.

Hello HELLO DO YOU COPY??

HI i don't know where you are located .I'm in the good old USA and the prices for wireless stuff is now very cheap . If you would try to implement another type of link TRANCEIVER to TRANCEIVER it will be much more expensive .. Lynx modules go for $35 an on top of that you will need all the microntroller and firmware .!

There are also USB wireless links .but the prices are a little higher that regular networking gear.

hello tones

there is a way that you could do it by net work these two computers through an IR transmitter and reciever that you could build it easily
with less components. but finaly you need a lan modem inserted in these two comp.

if you need websites of IR transreciever diagrams just reply

Wi-Fi LAN Cards

You can on **broken link removed** and buy 2 802.11b network cards. You can buy 2 of them for $29 or less. You can put them in Adhoc mode (where they can talk to each other directly). Or you can build your own. :D

Correction

The $29 is for each one ... sorry :oops: I just saw two cards for $24 each and $3.99 shipping.

bculver, thats what i was thinking.

How would i go about building my own cards though?

I also thought about using Infra-red but i dont really have line of sight.

Im in Sydney, Australia, BTW.

Cheers

Best would be to purchase off the shelf items.
If not, to build it yourself you'll need to modulate and demodulate the data coming out/in from/to your PC on to a carrier wave of certain frequency. Then you'll need an RF transmitter and receiver on both ends. It probably not worth the trouble :lol:

This idea of yours is realy comlicated

I gave out 130 $ for a ADSL gateway
You can conect a ADSL modem in to it and all computers that are conected to the gateway are in LAN and have internet conection with no runing the program for conection!cool ha? 8) 8) 8)

Building it

As far as building it ... just buy two identical wi-fi NIC's (preferably 802.11b) and after installing them, use the software or driver properties to set them into "Adhoc mode". They will do the rest from there as far as communicating.

If you want them to share an internet connection, then go through the "Internet Connection sharing" dialog through windows or Mac.

There is no need to modify them at all ... the IR thing will be a waste of your time unless you are just trying to learn about this.

Good luck

cheap networking

you wanted a wireless solution, but since you implied that an IR link might be usable, I have to ask the obvious. Could you live with a wired connection between the two computers? (maybe a small hole drilled through an interferring wall). If so, used 10Mbit ethernet cards (ISA) are very inexpensive. Here in the states, CSO sells various models for $1 apiece (wait for the free shipping deals). I recently bought a bundle of them, all from different vendors, and was able to locate the drivers for most online. - CAL

Hey thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, the point of this was basically to learn, but also not to have to shell out the money. Wifi NICs are $99 a piece here. :(

laroche73, the comps are already cable networked. I wanted to learn about this stuff (i already know a bit) and clean the floor of cables. :D

Gateways and Routers are priced from $200 to $500 here. Not really an option. :D

Im not really too concerned with performance either (being a learning exercise) so if theres any other non-conventional ways of achieving this, id be glad to hear them.

Anyway, thanks alot and keep those ideas coming. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back