Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5mbps yeah right

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

i have a adsl modem and connected to telstra and when it connects it says 1.5mbps. now i suppose that means megabytes per second but when i download something it says a max of 30kbps and our internet is not that fast either.
anyone else have that problem?

now i suppose that means megabytes per second
No, that's megabits per second. Also remember that with ADSL, the further you are from the central switch, the slower it will be. Noise on the line, etc will make a difference. I have ADSL and if I use a dimmable CFL (Compact florescent light) on a dimmer my connection will stop working all together until the light is turned off.

Last edited:
hi things,
There are a number of free downloads, that will check and indicate the possible 'speed' of ISP your connection.

Its also important to remember that the site you are downloading from may be slow.

try this link, follow the click instructions,,,, http://myspeed.visualware.com/

Last edited:
It may also be possible that your ISP's proxy servers are having a really bad day. I would double check with some unique google searches (something that proxy servesr probably haven't cached) a few connection speed tests, then if its still playing up, complain. Complaining works wonders with ISP's.

BT

wow i just used that speed detector above and my download speed was 219 kbps i hav been ripped off it's not 1.5mbps its 219 kbps:eek: .
hmmmmmmm.:confused:

Bookmark Speedguide.net, DSL Reports.com, and PC Pitstop. Those three sites will have you performing a number of tests, tweaks, and other tips to max your speed and PC performance. Also, go visit this link:
https://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129 There are a lot of links listed that give very good advice and direction.

If you are using those "filter dongles" that come with the self-install kit (so often dumped onto customer doorsteps), throw them out or give them to an enemy. If you're serious about sqeezing maximum performance from your PC and DSL then you need to spend time and proper effort to achieve it. Get yourself a DSL/POTS filter that connects at your demarcation box. Then get yourself the required length of CAT5 or newer wire to run a dedicated line to your DSL modem. Use same wire or better to run between the modem and your NIC card. The Siecor DSL/POTS Splitter SPS-H70-SR1 will do a splendid job and it also provides transient surge protection throu a number of methods, including fuses! For around $30 U.S. some CAT5e wire, and a few PC tweaks, you will see a serious improvement in data throughput both up and down. My efforts with all that almost doubled my speeds. You may not be able to improve the phone company's physical plant beyond your home, but you can do your part to maximize things on your end.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back