Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V SLA Float Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm looking to design a simple backup battery charging system, will be connected indefinately, so I have found a circuit using the LM317T.

Problem is I read about how the input voltage must be a few volts (about 4) to combat the voltage drop from the regulator. The only supply I have access to above the 12v, 15v, then goes to 24v.

Will this be ok, or will I need to adjust my 240ohm and 2k resistors on the output? I am using an LED as the minimum current draw requirement as recommended by another topic here.

Also I don't have access to a IN5400 diode, only IN5404. Will this do?

Thanks all,

Tim. :wink:

The long term current draw will be low, so power dissapation is not a problem. The LM317T is internally current limited and has over temperature protection in case the float charger tries to re-charge a dead battery, so use the 24 volt source to be sure there is enuf head room.

The 1N5404 is a higher voltage version of the 1N5400, so it is good to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back