Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

130KHz - 140KHz Driving Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ydewit

First of all, forgive me if this has been asked 20K times before. Since I have only the basic electronics knowledge (passive components, simple circuits, Ohm's law) I am looking for some directions here.

On the one hand, I have a piezoeletric component that needs to be driven by a frequency between 130KHz and 140KHz and I am planning to control this circuit (turn it on/off, change the frequency within this range) using an arduino board. This arduino board will also be connected to other stuff (sensor/actuators).

On the other hand, I have a standalone driving circuit that came with the component (attached here).

Looking at this circuit, I am able to identify the voltage regulator (UA7805) and a few other components that goes along with it: 1x capacitor 330u and 2x 104). I don't fully grasp what goes on when current starts going through this, but I take that it will produce a stable 5V on the other end. So far so good.

(1) The first thing I don't understand is why is there a VCC_5V being regulared but the driving circuit is powered directly by the DC12V instead?

(2) The second thing is that I don't understand how the frequency is generated using the 74132/capacitor/resitors but I will take that as a homework (hints appreciated) and I will read up on it: possibly with more specific questions here later.

(3) The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it. Can an arduino uno board generate these frequencies directly (I am assuming not)? Or do I need a subset of these components (I understand that the 5V will be provided by arduino and I won't need the voltage regulator)?

(4) A final thing is re: power. Since I am planning to use solar power in the future, what is the minimum power I can consume to generate these frequencies?

Any feedback or pointers are well appreciated.

-- yuri

Attachments

• DrivingCircuit-130-140KHz.png
    DrivingCircuit-130-140KHz.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 466
(1) The first thing I don't understand is why is there a VCC_5V being regulared but the driving circuit is powered directly by the DC12V instead?

The 5V probably drives the 74132's.

(2) The second thing is that I don't understand how the frequency is generated using the 74132/capacitor/resitors but I will take that as a homework (hints appreciated) and I will read up on it: possibly with more specific questions here later.

Google "inverter oscillator" I have a good reference I can link when I get back home if you can't find one, but I'm sure you can.

The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it.

It's a minimal circuit to start with. I'd just leave it alone.

Since I am planning to use solar power in the future, what is the minimum power I can consume to generate these frequencies?

Looks to be a watt or less. If you don't plan on actually driving a piezo, then the circuit consumes way less.

Last edited:
The 5V probably drives the 74132's.

Google "inverter oscillator" I have a good reference I can link when I get back home if you can't find one, but I'm sure you can.

It's a minimal circuit to start with. I'd just leave it alone.

Looks to be a watt or less. If you don't plan on actually driving a piezo, then the circuit consumes way less.

Indeed. I finally found out that this 74132 is a NAND gate (I am somewhat new to this) and found the specs for it. Input 7 is ground and input 14 is 5V.

This circuit will drive a transducer that will atomize small volumes of water using a nozzle plate with micron-sized holes. This is supposed to be much more efficient than the regular ultrasonic foggers you see sold (in the MHz frequencies) and most likely will not run all the time but on/off based on some feedback loop.

thanks!

I actually found an alternative circuit to drive the piezo transducer (Nozzle), which seems quite a bit simpler than the other one I uploaded here earlier. It also needs only 5V and 200mA (1W), which is great.

I have also created a simulation of the circuit using Paul Falstad's simulator (falstad.com) after I found an equivalent circuit of the piezo electric ceramic ultrasonic transducer (Q&A). However, the numbers given there were for a 39KHz resonant frequency.

Could someone help me translate these into 135KHz+-5 to match the actual piezo I'll be using? Let me know if you have any comments about the circuit.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 7.30.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 7.30.31 AM.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 318
On the one hand, I have a piezoeletric component that needs to be driven by a frequency between 130KHz and 140KHz and I am planning to control this circuit (turn it on/off, change the frequency within this range) using an arduino board. This arduino board will also be connected to other stuff (sensor/actuators).
(3) The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it. Can an arduino uno board generate these frequencies directly (I am assuming not)? Or do I need a subset of these components (I understand that the 5V will be provided by arduino and I won't need the voltage regulator)?
The frequency can be produced directly on the arduino board. I'd suggest using one of the hardware timers, 8Mhz/59 = 135.6KHz. The output is then fed into a couple of cascaded transistors, the second of which drive the inductor and transducer as per your first circuit. e.g. see the attached cct

Attachments

• piezodrv.png
    piezodrv.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
dougy83, thanks for the circuit.

I have checked with the manufacturer, though, and the second circuit I linked is the latest one. It is simpler (actually similar to yours) and requires only 5V and 200mA supply. So since I am not that versed in electronic circuits specially the ones with active components, it will stick to this new one learning as much as I cant along the way.

I have already ordered the piezo nozzle, now I need to order the electronic components. Here I got stuck in the inductors. Spent some time reading about them and now I understand at a high-level the roles of capacitors and inductors (in addition to resistors) in circuits. The circuit specifies 2x 2.2mH inductors and 1x 0.55mH inductor. I did a search and found two brands using Octopart.com:
* https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/02/9230-28-RC-Bourns-datasheet-119032.pdf
* https://www.electro-tech-online.com...302R2KT-Tyco-Electronics-datasheet-500154.pdf

The ones that seem to match were:
* Bourns 9230-14, 9230-28
* Tyco SC10-R56 and SC10-2R2

Are these good enough for this circuit? If I understand correctly, the frequencies going through them matter: should I take that into consideration when selecting an inductor? If so how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back