Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16 bit transmission using UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananth85

hw to transmit 16 bit of data through UART(RF) method,the uart only can transmit 8 bit of data at one time,how to achieve 16 bit,the data that i am going to transmit is voice data that is converted to digital data.Is there any other method,i have another idea that is using a 16 bit encoder and decoder as my data will be in digital form when transmission.i am also planning to use a transmitter with 300 - 433 Mhz,AM modulation,and the same type of receiver.

Last edited:
Send two 8 bits of data. What baud rate do your RF pair work at? Probably not fast enough for 16bit voice. (Why 16 bits?, 8 bits should be fine for voice)

There's no way around it- that's the UART standard. But does it really matter? Just send your 16-bit data as two bytes. THe receiver processes out all the start/stop bits anyways so you should just see 2 bytes.

1. Use CAN
  2. Use an FPGA and VHDL to vreate a 16-bit UART. That would be 16N1 for a framing format.

I don't think CAN is an option for his RF module...just UART. And the FPGA would not work on his RF module (though he could put one on both TX and RX so that he could send 16-bit format to it and have it automatically convert to 8-bit format for the RF module...awful lot of work though for something so...unecessaru).

Last edited:
Fairly pointless discussion anyway :D

He's going to require a massive load of bandwidth to send 16 bit digital audio over a radio link - and I presume he's planning using a licence free radio module, with (if you're lucky) a maximum rate of 9600 baud (or lower).

i need to encrypt my data into 16 bit then transmit it through RF,tats all,but the part where i need to transmit & receive seem to be the problem for me,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back