Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F628A becomes extremely hot in seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

folarinv

I attempted to program a PIC16F628A with a programming kit (AS3150v2) and micropro22 software I got from Quasar electronics but I encountered the following problems:

1) If I click on the program tab, the following comes up 'received data error....about to apply reset'
2) If I click on the verify tab, the following comes up:
EEPROM error at 0x004A
Good 0x00
Bad 0xFF

3) If I place the IC in my circuit anyway, the following happens
. The IC becomes extremely hot within seconds
. The LEDs of PORTB comes on and remain on irrespective of the alterations I make to my codes in the MPASM.

This is my first hands-on. new IC, new programmer, the codes are copied from Nigels tutorials so what could be wrong!

Below is the code I tried to program.

Tutorial 1.2 - Nigel Goodwin 2002
LIST p=16F628 ;tell assembler what chip we are using
include "P16F628.inc" ;include the defaults for the chip
__config 0x3D18 ;sets the configuration settings (oscillator type etc.)

cblock 0x20 ;start of general purpose registers
count1 ;used in delay routine
counta ;used in delay routine
countb ;used in delay routine
endc

org 0x0000 ;org sets the origin, 0x0000 for the 16F628,
;this is where the program starts running
movlw 0x07
movwf CMCON ;turn comparators off (make it like a 16F84)

bsf STATUS, RP0 ;select bank 1
movlw b'00000000' ;set PortB all outputs
movwf TRISB
movwf TRISA ;set PortA all outputs
bcf STATUS, RP0 ;select bank 0

Loop
movlw 0xff
movwf PORTA ;set all bits on
movwf PORTB
nop ;the nop's make up the time taken by the goto
nop ;giving a square wave output
call Delay ;this waits for a while!
movlw 0x00
movwf PORTA
movwf PORTB ;set all bits off
call Delay
goto Loop ;go back and do it again

Delay movlw d'250' ;delay 250 ms (4 MHz clock)
movwf count1
d1 movlw 0xC7
movwf counta
movlw 0x01
movwf countb
Delay_0
decfsz counta, f
goto $+2
decfsz countb, f
goto Delay_0

decfsz count1 ,f
goto d1
retlw 0x00

end

I would suggest you are inserting the PIC the wrong way round 8)

They do get extremely hot when you do that - as I've mentioned before, I have a 16F628 (that still works fine) with my fingerprint burnt in the top of it!.

okay, well obviously there's something very wrong with your circuit, the PIC should never be getting hot... are any IO pins shorted to power or ground? are you using series resistors with the LEDs? did you connect power and ground correctly? (Vdd to power, Vss to ground) are you powering it within its rated voltage range? (6.5 volts max)

from the sounds of it, you may have already killed the PIC, in which case it's not surprising that it isn't programming properly.

I have exactly that same programmer, and it's never given me trouble. are you sure you're putting the PIC in the right spot in the socket? (making sure to notice that the socket is oriented in a specific direction in the picture...

try programming the PIC, and then reading it back with the programming software. does it come back with what looks like code there, or does it just come back all the same value? (00 or FF) try editing the fuses with the software, and disabling read protection on the data EEPROM, if it is enabled. I can't remember if this one does it, but my old programmer and software would give a verify error when EEPROM read protect was enabled, because it would try to write 0x00 to all EEPROM locations, but when it would read it back it would see 0xFF since the PIC wouldn't let it actually read the EEPROM... judging by the error message you're seeing that seems like it could be it.

you need to solve those problems before you even begin to care about what code you are putting into it.

3150: USB PIC Programmer - Flash/OTP (Socket & ICSP)

Surely the best people to talk about your **broken link removed** are the people you bought it from?

Please contact our support team via email and we will do our best to get you going.

These **broken link removed** are quite reliable and user-friendly provided you follow the simple instructions provided. We sell many to industrial users who have made numerous repeat purchases for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back