Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F628A - can't enter programming mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

Hi
i think i'm wasting PICs with my JDM programmer...and it's really not the right time to move on and build a different programmer, any ideas on how to revive some messed up 16F628A?

thanks!

whiz115 said:
Hi
i think i'm wasting PICs with my JDM programmer...and it's really not the right time to move on and build a different programmer, any ideas on how to revive some messed up 16F628A?

thanks!

Besides buy a PICKit 2 that is built and assembled for $34.95?

How are you wasting PIC's? Are they not verifying correctly - if so this could be a result of a poor circuit design, not necessarily the PIC's fault. You should be able to program the same device at least 100,000 times!

they're becoming kinda "locked" due to some kind of bug with JDM programmers. Meaning that sometimes PICs can't be re-programmed if you use
internal oscillator and disabling MCLR.

any opinions?

whiz115 said:
they're becoming kinda "locked" due to some kind of bug with JDM programmers. Meaning that sometimes PICs can't be re-programmed if you use
internal oscillator and disabling MCLR.

any opinions?

Sure stop using JDM type programmers, or get a really old machine with Windows 98. Your modern OS and computer are ill matched for the ancient JDM style programmer.

blueroomelectronics said:
Sure stop using JDM type programmers, or get a really old machine with Windows 98. Your modern OS and computer are ill matched for the ancient JDM style programmer.
Yup. PICkit 2's are cheap. If you count your time as worth anything at all they'll save you a ton of money. And you get debugging, which a JDM can't do. That alone is worth the money, so you get a free programmer! :D

PICkit 2 works with virtually all PICs. It's fast. It does debugging. It's USB and made to work with modern computers. And it integrates properly with MPLAB. It has its own software as well, that has a nice UART tool and a 3-channel logic analyzer. All that for around $35-$40 bucks. Cheap!!!

Why fight with a stupid JDM? It just isn't worth it. Spend the money and fight with your target circuit instead. :D

I would suggest the Junebug, but I see you're in Greece, so it may be harder to get than a PICkit 2.

Last edited:
whiz115 said:
lol...
i only wanted to unlock a couple of PICs that got accidentaly locked... :confused: :D

https://www.oshonsoft.com/picprog.html

very simple schematic that you can attach to any box with parallel port (LPT) and reprogram those PIC's using HVP (12V programming). I had few "blocked" PIC's myself and unblocked all of them using this simple one (few EUR for parts .. easy to build, you do not even need to etch the PCB)

schematic of programmer (the software you can get from the link above):
**broken link removed**

thanks arhi :) indeed i don't have time etching and making a new programmer, i was searching for a quick solution.

also thanks the rest of the guyz ofc.

Last edited:
why etch it? I woul dbuild this on a breadboard (or 2) and use it like that untill i can buy a pref board and build it on that... You cant be too picky when it involves saving money and time

I was having trouble programming with my jdm when I first got it. I was able to get it woring by using a different flash program.

fiveten

I've been trying to get into debugging with pickit2, and since it's my first program, and first time using mplab and pickit2 I can't get the debugger to jump over the delays, and inputs. I also tried to program some inputs, to test the logic, but haven't been able to do that yet. I'm building the prototype as well, and need to look up some pull downs, and ups for a dip switch connected to the chip.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get into debugging with pickit2, and since it's my first program, and first time using mplab and pickit2 I can't get the debugger to jump over the delays, and inputs. I also tried to program some inputs, to test the logic, but haven't been able to do that yet. I'm building the prototype as well, and need to look up some pull downs, and ups for a dip switch connected to the chip.
Well you don't have to single step through a delay. Just set a breakpoint at the end of the loop.

OK, I put the delay behind ; so the debugger would jump over it, also through all the inputs, so the DB would jump over it, and I did find a bug.... :)

Now I have to change the dipswitch set up.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back