Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16f628a programming only got 16f628 support will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lompa

before i go and spend my pennys on some 16f682a's i need to ask a question

what is the "a"?

i am using the proton ide demo that will only alow me to use the 16f628a, the programmer i have availble will only program a 16f628 not the "a" version

will it work if i select 16f628 on the programmer but actually program a 16f628a?

or will usuing a 16f628 PIC be the better option even though its compiled for the 16F628a?

thanks for your help

Pin for pin it is compatable..
the code is also compleatly compatable

will it work if i select 16f628 on the programmer but actually program a 16f628a?
absolutely..

so im best off getting the 16f628a then?

so you dont expect any errors to occur?

the problem i have is i need to use the "PulsOut" command in basic but the only software i can find that supports this is Proton IDE, but its a demo and will only let me use the 16f628a

anyone know of any other software i can use or an anlternative for "PulsOut"

thanks

lompa said:
so im best off getting the 16f628a then?

It doesn't make any real difference, it's merely a later silicon revision, it's still an EEPROM chip like the 628 is.

so you dont expect any errors to occur?

You should check the MicroChip documention, they usually have a 'migration document' telling you of any changes required.

the problem i have is i need to use the "PulsOut" command in basic but the only software i can find that supports this is Proton IDE, but its a demo and will only let me use the 16f628a

anyone know of any other software i can use or an anlternative for "PulsOut"

Most BASIC's will include it, the original BASIC STAMP did, and most PIC BASIC's copy it from there. Or it's trivial to write in assembler.

You can write your basic code and compile it in protonIDE useing
the 628a, and then program a 628 chip with the compiled code.
If your programmer does not suport the "a" chips, you will get a verify
error,(someone correct me if i am wrong).
what programmer are you useing?
Nigel's programmer is a superb bit of kit, :p grovel.

Martin.

Changed the number of 8 vs 16 bit timers.

I have used the A in place of the orig without any code changes.

i have got some 16f628, so im gonna try to write to them even though its compiled to a 16f628a hopefully if will work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back