Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F88 MPLAB debugging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

I'm trying to write and read a 25LC1024 with the Firefly 16F88. I'm writing 256 bytes to the chip and then reading them back and storing them in an array.

How can I view the contents of the array (in RAM)? I've been trying to use View/File Registers, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing.

Yep, it's going to be a little slow with that many variables, it'll help to run at 8MHz.

Junebug can also read / write the 25LC1024 directly (uses the long top connector)

blueroomelectronics said:
Yep, it's going to be a little slow with that many variables, it'll help to run at 8MHz.

Junebug can also read / write the 25LC1024 directly (uses the long top connector)
Oh boy, I'm such an idiot! :D Been fighting this thing for a while, watching it crash and being confused. Just now it suddenly occurs to me that I've forgotten that the RAM isn't contiguous. "It's banked, ya dummy! Aaarrgghh!"

PICs remind me of the old days programming in MSDOS, pre-flat memory model. Only PICs are much less arcane. Well, maybe a little less... :p

Oh! That was easy! Code was fine all along. My problem was that I neglected to pull the WP pin high. Once I added that one wire it immediately started working. :p

Lesson learned: RTFD - Read The Frickin Datasheet! Or at least read it more carefully than I did at first. Floating Write Protect pins are bad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back