18 LED circuit ideas possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLwiLL

hey guys, i got an interesting opportunity to do something no one has ever seen before. only problem is i have no clue how to wire it up.

what i want to do is get 18 blue 5mm led's to light up my pool table rail sights. during a game i would like to have them all on and hooked to a dimmer.

i have already hand made the difusers (what a pain that was!) and am about to get the led's in the holes on the table rails. what i want to do is run them off a 12v source and was hoping some cool sequencing could take place when no one was playing on it. like get 1 led to chase around the table, or have an off led do the same to all the lit up ones. i went to school for electronics 7 years ago so i'm a little rusty when it comes to circuit design, any help or more input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

~Will.

chasing lights could be done with 2 cascaded 4017s i think, running from a 555. whilst on that - a 555 could provide pwm to dim the leds too.

for more advanced sequencing on the lights - id use a small micro

you done electronics before - are you uP savvy or do you wanna do this hardwired?

that sounds like alot of fun... i actually want to do this with blue LEDS to the under dash of my car too, but havent gotten the parts for it yet.

Hosfelt.com had a LED sequencer a few years ago. Even with a kit it's a lot of soldering!

I would definetly use a PIC µ or similar device. I just finished a 25 LED chaser that used a 555 and 2 4017's but if you want to have different patterns that would be much less complicated to do with a µ instead of standard logic IC's.

not too sure what a "PIC µ" is, and a google search diddnt come up with much, can i get a quick run down, or mabye a good link to info pls?

i'm still really up in the air on what to do, the led's alone will be pretty impressive . . . making them do all kinds of crazy stuff is really just icing. if i was to do nothing but the dimmer, what should the circuit look like (12v)?

thanks again.

~Will.

PIC µ is a PIC microcontroller. This would be the best approach for your project in my opinion but requires a PIC programmer as well as programming knowledge. If you are unfamiliar with microcontrollers this approach would require some effort to learn but once you know some basics you can do almost anything with them. I can send you an example schematic if you PM me your email address. As for general information on PIC microcontrollers you can go here:

PIC microcontroller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

couple pics

well, i diddn't get the chance to wire up the sequencer, but the led rail sights themselves look amazing. heres a few pics pre slate and felt - sorry about the dark pics, the flash really tones down the led's

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

the table got a new rhino liner paint job, all metal wes powder coated, and a new ball return went in it. it has grey cloth on it now, i'll get a pic of it once its been leveled and the pockets are installed.

thanks for the help

~Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…