Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1980's electronic typewriter transformer bad?

atikovi

This is a Brother EM711 typewriter. It would randomly reboot as if you had turned the power off then on. Now it's totally dead. Took it apart and checked the transformer.

IMG_3830.JPG

there is 120V on the black and white wires going up to the transformer, but only like 30 mV coming out on the two red wires on the left. Bad transformer? And where do I find a replacement? Found nothing by searching those numbers and have no idea what the output should be.

Hmmm. I'm counting on my fingers and I'm no accountant but:

Transformer: $15
+
Cap, 10000uf, <$10
50 volts*

Seems to be less than:

Digikey DC Supply: $33

and it preserves the original one piece operation of the typewriter.

* may or may not need replacement at some point.

Hmmm. I'm counting on my fingers and I'm no accountant but:

Transformer: $15
+
Cap, 10000uf, <$10
50 volts*

Seems to be less than:

Digikey DC Supply: $33

and it preserves the original one piece operation of the typewriter.

* may or may not need replacement at some point.
And with the brick, you get all the short-circuit interruption and voltage surge protection of a modern power supply. User's choice. Dollars aren't everything. It's the same advice as I gave in post #30. Cheers.

You're saying it worked fine for 40 years, so you'll trust the original design? Excellent call.

The proof is that it works! Good job!

Let it run for a while and feel those aluminum heat sinks - can you keep your fingers on them?
And lick your finger before you touch them :D

You should always do this, as if it's hot you will instantly hear the saliva 'boiling' - so can remove your finger before it's burnt. With a dry finger, if it's hot, your finger burns before you can feel the heat - the bodies heat sensing is a very slow action.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back