1Hz pulse from a SN74HC4060 chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toodlez

Hi,

I'm pretty new to electrical stuff and I am trying to make a clock. I was wondering what is the most sufficient way to get a 1Hz pulse from a SN74HC4060 chip? On the datasheet on page 6 there is a diagram that I am using where you use two resistors and a capacitor and it gives you an equation to determine the values of them. My question is should I solve the equation for a frequency of 1Hz or should I solve it for something like 32Hz and then use an oscilloscope to figure out which output gives you 1 Hz and then wire my CLK pins from my counters to the 1Hz output?

Here is the datasheet: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/sn74hc4060.pdf

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Add a 37686Hz crystal which will give you 2Hz, add a divide by two counter to get 2Hz.

Hi Hero999,

what a mess!

Watch your math! (2/2=1)

and kindly add 82Hz to the crystal frequency and subtract 5KHz to get it accurate.

The correct crystal frequency would be 32768Hz if my calculator hasn't lied to me.

Kind regards

Hans

P.S. Never surrender to math!

Last edited:

Obviously typos, too many holiday beers... Still a better design than what you posted....

Thanks a lot guys. The diagram is extremely helpful. My professor said I could use one of my counter chips (SN74LS161AN) as a divider but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Would I just connect pin 3 (the 2Hz pulse) from the 4060 to the CLK pin on the 161 chip and then connect the output that is 1Hz (Qa,Qb,Qc or Qd) to the CLK pins on my counters? I think Qa would be 2Hz and Qb would be 1Hz so I would connect Qb to my CLK pins on the counters. Am I right?

Thanks.

Datasheet for the 161 chip: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/f/0c73ula5udcehstppg6zfw74hqyy.pdf

Last edited:

hi,
Its Qa which is 1Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…