Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1km remot control

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is impractical to send and receive an IR beam far as 1km.
A TV remote's range is about 10m using a single IR LED.
Translation equipment for a large (30m) boardroom uses about 40 IR LEDs.

It would work if:
1) A few thousand IR LEDs were used.
2) The IR LEDs were operating at their max current.
3) A huge freznel lens was used to focus the IR beam.
4) Another huge lens was used at the IR receiver.
5) The systems were in tthe middle of nowhere without any ambient light or heat to cause interference.

Impracticle. :(

I dont think he means IR remote (i hope)

Look for license-free RF modules. I saw one from radiometrix that was capable of 10km!

amenoera wrote: i didnt say i want to use ir i want to implement it using rf or somthing else .

A simple way would be to use a laser pointer and a photoresistor installed under a shade of some sort, so it only conducts when the laser pointer shines light on it.

remote control

RF remote controls are capable of longer range than IR and they have the advantage of not having to be at "line of sight".
They are more complex though, so you should prepare yourself for that. Google things up and you'll come up with a suitable schematic.

digital said:
A simple way would be to use a laser pointer and a photoresistor installed under a shade of some sort, so it only conducts when the laser pointer shines light on it.

And hitting the target would be easy at 1km. :shock:

Mike

Do you want to communicate only between two fixed locations? Is there guaranteed to be a line of sight between them?

If the locations aren't fixed, it's next to impossible to do this legally with your own link. The power requirements are significant and the FCC won't allow it. You could utilize part of a cell phone network's data services for some sort of fee.

There are directional antennas for radio that allow greatly increased range, this would could allow you to get the range within a legal radio power level. They require careful alignment. If you don't have line-of-sight it may or may not work depending on what's in the way.

Oznog said:
If the locations aren't fixed, it's next to impossible to do this legally with your own link. The power requirements are significant and the FCC won't allow it. You could utilize part of a cell phone network's data services for some sort of fee.

As neither you, or 'amenoera', have your locations filled in, it's obviously difficult to know where you might be?, and what regulations might apply?.

As you mention the FCC, presumably you are in the USA?, but it would make life much easier if you simply filled your location in!.

As for 'amenoera', it's probably doubtful that he's in the USA?, based on his requirement being specified in km and not miles!.

1km isn't a great distance, and many manufacturers make licence free radio modules that will exceed that range - obviously depending on the country involved.

So, FILL YOUR LOCATION DETAILS IN!

Edit:

While the FCC might apply to Austin, Texas, it certainly won't to Cairo, Egypt!

What about couple of cheap CB Radios? And Possibly an LM387 to encode and decode the signals with various sequential Tones. That eliminates false triggering.

That worked for me once.

The new FRS "walkie-talkies" have a range of about 3km and the newer GRS go up to 10km. My FRS ones work well and were inexpensive. They have 38 sub-channels that only opens the mute when another on the same sub-channel transmits the correct ultrasonic tone (I guess that's how sub-channels work). :lol:

What about couple of cheap CB Radios? And Possibly an LM387 to encode and decode the signals with various sequential Tones. That eliminates false triggering.

That worked for me once.

Sorry, But I ment to say an LM567, Touch Tone Decoder Chip.

Sorry Gary,
An LM567 isn't a Touch Tone decoder IC. It is just a single-frequency phase-locked-loop circuit. Many of them could be used to decode Touch-tones but not accurately.
Use a real Touch Tone decoder IC which is crystal controlled for accuracy. They used to be made by Mitel, Motorola and others but maybe aren't available for hobbiests now. :(

As Amemoera is in Egypt, I am not sure that CB or FRS/PMR446/W.H.Y. is permitted in that country.
I have not seen any evidence of it on my trips there.

JimB

Audioguru Sorry Gary,
An LM567 isn't a Touch Tone decoder IC. It is just a single-frequency phase-locked-loop circuit. Many of them could be used to decode Touch-tones but not accurately.
Use a real Touch Tone decoder IC which is crystal controlled for accuracy. They used to be made by Mitel, Motorola and others but maybe aren't available for hobbiests now.

Actually it is defined as a "Tone Decoder". And in the 1988 National Data Book 3, page5-62, it is Recommended for making a touch Tone Decoder, complete with the schematic to do this.
(7 of the LM657 decoders and 3 quad Nand Gates)

I do Agree it is an Older Device and yes there are Newer Self contained, more accurate ones now.
But Basically the LM567 was the first commerical chip to be used for this application.

Gary

Re: thanks

amenoera said:
my location is : egypt (cairo) .

if 1km is a long range so can i make it 500meter .

What also would be interesting to know is just exactly what you are trying to remotely control.
Considering you have no visual feedback over such a distance, unless you also have a video link, your controlling would have to be on faith that it indeed worked. How would you know that the controlled device actually responded?

I am assuming that, horror of horrors, your application does not involve an one time effect, usually resulting in a big bang :twisted:

audioguru said:
Sorry Gary,
Use a real Touch Tone decoder IC which is crystal controlled for accuracy. They used to be made by Mitel, Motorola and others but maybe aren't available for hobbiests now. :(

how could i do that ? i mean to use a 2 walkie talkie radios, one for sending the signal and the other to recept the signal so i can use it to activat something???
thnks for your help

i would suggest linx technologies LR series RF module chips
there is a reciever and a transmitter. range is >1000m

www.linxtechnologies.com

cost is ~£5 per peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back