Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1n4001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most silicon diodes, the 1N400x series will drop approximately 0.7volts when conducting in the forward direction.

JimB

JimB said:
Like most silicon diodes, the 1N400x series will drop approximately 0.7volts when conducting in the forward direction.

JimB

Yikes, anything else I can use instead to acheive the same effect but use up less volts - thats a lot of volts to take from my solar cell arrangement!

Peter

Look at the datasheet, the forward voltage drop varies a lot with the current.

Attachments

• 1N400x Vf vs If.GIF
    1N400x Vf vs If.GIF
    17.9 KB · Views: 149
PeterDove said:
Yikes, anything else I can use instead to acheive the same effect but use up less volts - thats a lot of volts to take from my solar cell arrangement!

Peter

You could try a schottky diode (I dont know any type numbers off the top of my head), these have a forward volt drop of about 0.2 volts.

JimB

I think a 1N5817 also is a schottky diode

Also try some type of germanium diode(1n34)...these will drop
approx 300 millivolts.....but double check the current rating and
make sure it will handle your requirements.

ajc said:

Bear in mind, germanium diodes are VERY leaky, it's going to let your batteries discharge back through the panel (although slowly).

Many solar panels already have diodes built-in, it would be worth checking to see if these ones do?. But so far there's no mention of even what spec the panels might be? (or the batteries).

ajc said:

Thanks guys, just the info I need. Will get a 1N5817 - looks perfect.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back