1n60 germanium or silicon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
I just bought couple of 1N60 diodes for my project. But they look like the below image:-

View attachment 64883

..and seems like a silicon diode. I assume this one is silicon but works as small signal high frequency switching diode like 1n4148.

Searched on google and it listed 1N60 as Germanium point contact glass diode and shottky diode.

What you think about this? Is this one silicon type and how is this possible like two versions of the same part number?

hi,
Usually a Ge diode has a lower forward 'resistance', if you check using a ohm meter you should see approx 600R to 1000R for an Si diode and approx 300R for a Ge diode.

Last question first: Alldatasheet.com lists several diodes, both germanium and silicon, and even a mosfet for "1N60."

https://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=1N60

The forward voltage drop of the germanium (about 0.3V) should be smaller than for the 1N4148. However, the silicon Shottky listed above has a similar low forward voltage drop.

John

Hey thanks eric and john for the quick replies. Actually I was searching for Germanium point contact glass diode.

I've checked couple of diodes with my ohmmeter and below is the result:-

1n60(aboveone) - 286
oa79 -345
1n4148 - 720
1n4007 - 685

My part number is 1n60P marked on that. Ebay lists the above image of 1n60P as schottky diode and I think there is only Silicon schottky and no Germanium schottky or correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean mine is a silicon schottky with lower forward resistance? Basically my question is do you think a germanium diode is possible in the above package(ref image)?

I think lately I lost lots of commonsense

hi,
These are 2 datasheets I found.

Use a modern DMM on the diode test function. If the reading is in the area of 0.3xxx, it's a germanium part; if in the area of 0.6xxx or 0.7xxx, it's a silicon part; a reading more like 0.1xxx or 0.2xxx will indicate a hot-carrier/Schottky part. The diode test function is similar to the resistance function except that it displays the voltage drop of the device under test at the test current used rather than the actual resistance.

If you want a Germanium diode look for 1N34. In many applications hot carrier Schottky diodes will work. If your application is RF detection look for a low junction capacitance hot carrier diode. MBD101 are good hot carrier diodes for RF detectors with about 1 pF of junction capacitance.

Hot carrier diodes have a higher dynamic resistance and can be designed for higher current handling capability meaning they will have higher junction capacitance which is not a good thing if using it for RF detection.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks all for the replies. I think this one is a superseded version of old Germanium point contact type 1n60 in a silicon schottky format with a lower voltage drop and faster switching action. ie, almost similar performance to a germanium point contact detector diode(old model).

IMO, newer silicon schottky diodes performs well as older germanium point contact types in RF detection with less manufacturing cost, or correct me if I'm wrong?

Low cost - sure, you have at least one last step. No deposition/diffusion step. I made some large area ones where I worked. We did it in order to evaluate ohmic contacts, so they were unintentional. I surprised my boss for how well I could deposit magnesium. Everyone else ended up with cloudy Mg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…