Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.5GHz amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to make a circuit that can boost the signal from my Wii remote on the opposite side of the house. The Wii remote has a transmitter frequency of 2.4GHz- 2.48GHz. I only need an amplifier that can double the range.

Almost 12db of gain at 2ghz, not bad for a 3 dollar chip. They sell a populated PCB that is ready to run for bout 60 bucks, even has sma connectors on it already.

That part is perfect for what I want to do! My only concern is that when I connect this circuit, won't the 2.5GHz cause a problem in itself? I heard that once a clock rate exceeds 1GHz then specific capacitance need to be considered in the PCB trace. Even if it is not mounted on a PCB (it probably won't to save a little money) won't there be some problems with stray capacitance's?

The example circuit goes immediately from a carefully layed out PCB to RF connectors... So the answer to your question is resoundingly yes, and if you read all the documentation about the IC, you'd see that it clearly provides all the information you need to get the performance it lists in the PDF out of it.
If you want to wire it dead bug style all the better as the wires can be placed far enough apart to avoid stray capacitance, though you'll still have to keep leads short to avoid inductance. Not sure about ground planes without a PCB though.

Last edited:
actually, it's better to use the carefully laid out PC board. any impedance matching that needs to be done as well as reducing stray capacitances that can degrade the performance of the circuit are already designed in to the trace pattern. "dead bug" construction at 2.5Ghz can introduce stray capacitances and lead inductances that can cause the amp chip to oscillate. lead lengths as short as 1/4" are significant portions of a wavelemgth. at 2.5Ghz a 1pf capacitance is a 63 ohm reactance. the PC board takes all of these things into account. straight traces on the PC board are calculated to operate as sections of transmission line, and ground planes strategically placed to minimize capacitive coupling between various parts of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back