Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 car battery parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper007

Hi

Please tell me if anything can go wrong when i connect 2 car battery parallel. Maybe need diodes to prevent current between battery ?

Thanks for replys

You get a 12v supply that lasts twice as long, the transit that I used for work a few years back had 6x 110Ah leisure batterys in it - all in parallell and charged from a second alternator (FYI - the bracket for a second alternator is fitted as standard on a Ford Transit, well it was on mine anyway)

As long as the batteries are of the same type, size, age and polarity, you'll be fine.

I guess you are going to use them in your car?

To avoild another post, I assume that Yes. In that case, the car's alternator will be taking twice load.

Installing 2 or more batteries are very common in the car audio world, but except if you are going to use the audio system with the engine stopped for long time, it's more a problem than a solution, again, due to alternator overloading.

If the headlights go dim with strong bass, get a capacitor or upgrade the alternator.

Hmmm - I need to have maybe five or six batteries in parallel, in order to run power tools out in the forest. Say I pick up three brand shiny new batteries, and two that have been through a couple of hard winters with unkind parents. What circuitry do I use to ensure that the old batteries don't kill the new ones?

You don't, you use all new ones. No amount of circuitry will let you properly match a new to old battery system.
5 or 6 in Parallel? that is a LOT of current. You can weld with 1, what are you powering, I'm guessing a big inverter system?

Last edited:
I currently have 2 parallel batteries in my Ford van, provided by Ford. I love that extra juice on these ( brutally) cold winter days. It does not burn out the alternator, indicated by the battery guage moving towards positive after cranking. Two extra alternators come in handy, too!

You don't, you use all new ones. No amount of circuitry will let you properly match a new to old battery system. For efficiency, you let the batteries simply do what they do, and if they're matched at the start, you're okay. If they're not, you're not okay, you can never fixed starting not okay =)

OK, thanks Brother - that's a really clear answer! I guess I'll just have to retire my old batteries to occasional duty running the Christmas tree lights!

You don't, you use all new ones. No amount of circuitry will let you properly match a new to old battery system.
5 or 6 in Parallel? that is a LOT of current. You can weld with 1, what are you powering, I'm guessing a big inverter system?

No, my inverter's only 1500 Watts - but I like to be able to use a 750 Watt drill, a 1000 Watt SkilSaw, and sometimes a 200 Watt lamp, and be able to get to the end of a 12-hour day out in the woods. OK, I've got some 18 volt portable kit too - but the batteries on those suckers die so quickly. And it's nice to work in the forest without having a generator running all the time : I like to hear the birds once in a while!

Yeah cause 1500 watts is small, even though you can cook a whole chicken with it =)
Buy a generator. They not that expensive and are going to be a whole lot cheaper than trying to hack something out on your own which will result in either death, burning something down, or frying a once loved tool =)

I guess you are going to use them in your car?

To avoild another post, I assume that Yes. In that case, the car's alternator will be taking twice load.

Installing 2 or more batteries are very common in the car audio world, but except if you are going to use the audio system with the engine stopped for long time, it's more a problem than a solution, again, due to alternator overloading.

If the headlights go dim with strong bass, get a capacitor or upgrade the alternator.

In response to "car audio world". Very true. When I was competing USAC
and DBDrag I ran 6 in parallel with isolation and a customised GM alternator
in my Dodge.
When you have that many amp hours on tap you do have to be careful about
overheating an alternator when you have deeply discharged those batts.

Yeah cause 1500 watts is small, even though you can cook a whole chicken with it =)
Buy a generator. They not that expensive and are going to be a whole lot cheaper than trying to hack something out on your own which will result in either death, burning something down, or frying a once loved tool =)

Isn't there a fungus called 'Chicken of the Woods'? Yeah - I've got a generator - I just really like the quietness of the forest, and prefer to disturb it as little as possible: sure, sometimes I gotta fire up the chainsaw, and that's going to remove every living thing for three miles around - but I really find the constant drone of even the quietest generator really gets to me after a few hours. So - I'm off to buy a coupla' brand-new batteries!

Great use for 2 automotive batteries

See the attachment, I know is a very old trick but sounds great.

I'm dreaming about a nice wheeled box... a beautiful alarm to warn about over-discharging of the batteries... and how to get rid of the hydrogen :rolleyes:

PS: That bold phrase is an insult for the overunity supporters :D
PS2: I think I'll make 3 welds in my life, so buying a decent welder is out of sight.
PS3: i just realized the poor safety that my picture depicts! please use proper protection kids

Attachments

• weld1.JPG
    weld1.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 733
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back