Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 Phase Stepper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Im just getting into stepper motors and all that, the reason being is because I want to make a dividable headstock for my lathe (its basically mounting on the side to turn the spindle when the lathe is off). I used a small PIC micro, the code works, I tested it on a scrap stepper motor from a old printer. Im using the "wave" drive method just to test things out. I know there is the "full" step drive, but thats for later (I digress though, I got lazy in coding). But it oddly wont work on this stepper motor that I want to use.

here is where I got it from:
https://www.allelectronics.com/make...RESOLUTION-BI-POLAR-STEPPER-MOTOR-USED/1.html

And this is the link to the spec sheet via the manufacturer:
https://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/stepping-motors--1068/pk-series-stepping-motors/pk244m-01aa

But its not really bi-polar. It's unipolar (6 leads). So Im a bit confused here. Maybe I can only use it in bipolar mode? I feel the motor getting pulses (it vibrates a little bit and the shaft is hard to turn) but it wont turn. Ive moved around the phases, I even tried manually operating it, and it just wont budge.

Hi,

If your driver is made for bipolar then you can only use 4 leads of the motor, two from each phase. Try using the ENDS of each winding and ignoring the center taps. That will drive it as a bipolar even though it has unipolar windings. There's a difference in torque, that's the difference. For a similar torque the drive voltage would have to be higher.
Be sure to use protection diodes unless the driver has them built in.

Hi,

If your driver is made for bipolar then you can only use 4 leads of the motor, two from each phase. Try using the ENDS of each winding and ignoring the center taps. That will drive it as a bipolar even though it has unipolar windings. There's a difference in torque, that's the difference. For a similar torque the drive voltage would have to be higher.
Be sure to use protection diodes unless the driver has them built in.

Wont I need a H bridge for Bipolar driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back