Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

200 watts Amplifier help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny152

Hello,
I have downloaded 200 watts power amplifier circuitfrom

**broken link removed**

This amplifier design is very simple amplifier but the details of that circuit,author not included and few days back i assembled the circuit but some components are getting burnt out and it's not working and i wan't to know whether this amplifier is successful or not?and whether any modifications needed for this amplifier to get 200 watts power without any over heating of the components?
I shall be very grateful if any one please give the construction details and help me to assemble this 200 watts amplifier perfectly.
Waiting for your replies.

Thanks in advance,
sunny.

sunny152 said:
Hello,
I have downloaded 200 watts power amplifier circuitfrom

**broken link removed**

This amplifier design is very simple amplifier but the details of that circuit,author not included and few days back i assembled the circuit but some components are getting burnt out and it's not working and i wan't to know whether this amplifier is successful or not?and whether any modifications needed for this amplifier to get 200 watts power without any over heating of the components?
I shall be very grateful if any one please give the construction details and help me to assemble this 200 watts amplifier perfectly.
Waiting for your replies.

Thanks in advance,
sunny.

Which components are burning out?.

I presume you are mounting the IC's and transistor on large heatsinks?, with suitable insulation washers?.

You might also check the maximum voltage rating of the chips?, I'm not sure what it is - but that looks rather high.

With a Supply voltage of 44 volts, +/- 22 volts and only a 10uF Cap, That is Not Very Good.
Are you sure you are Not Exceeding this supply voltage?

Heat Sinks should be Very Large, Extruded Aluminum ones.

May be a Simple Amp, But not really a good amp for the beginner.

Gary

I think maybe they mean 10 milli Farads, which is more like it, at 10,000 uF. Why this format still appears on schematics this way I don't know....

The supply rails for this chip are supposed to be +/- 18 VDC, so I think this design is cutting it pretty close.

Perhaps the IC is oscillating, not a good thing. Parts layout, physical locations of decoupling capacitors and ground connection paths are always critical in these types of amplifiers. There are alot of possible things that can go wrong fast in these types of designs.

If you are starting out in electronics, it may be better to try one of the kits that are widely available, and usually well documented. Even if the kit only has a PCB, atleast you eliminate a major source of problems.

Another source of proven designs for amplifiers is in the data books from component manufacturers. These often give suggested layouts, PCB artwork, design notes and the like that will be invaluable to experimenting.

The old GE and Motorola transistor books had amp designs that were very well done, and often were used in commercial equipment. Many of these designs are available on the internet.

I express my sincere thanks for your reply regarding 200 watts amplifier and i have some queries regarding this 200 watts amplifier
**broken link removed**
so kindly answer my queries.

1.what should be the wattage of resistors 2R2, 1R, 100K, 3K3, 2K2 ? are these are 1/4 watt?

2. can i use 12-0-12 volts tranformer? and is 16 volts DC sufficient for this amplifier?

3.can i use TIP 35C transistor in place of KD 708 and TIP 36C in place of KD 707 ?

5.From where i can get more information about this amplifier?

kindly clarify my queries.

Thanks,
sunny

Absolutely the MOST Important thing on this type of amplifier is a "Common Point Ground". If Not Used, it will result in Oscillations.

This Means that All Parts go to a Single Point, Not to a long Trace.

If you don't understand this, E-mail Me at: chemelec@hotmail.com
Put ELECTRONIC in the subject Line or it will go to junk mail.

Other than that, I will have to re-check the schematic to determine wattage ratings. Will do that if you e-mail me.

Yes, that transformer is acceptable, But Depends Partly on its Current Rating. However you will have Reduced Wattage output because of the lower voltage.

Yes Also those Transistors should work.

Just in case any others are interested, Here is a Final Schematic of what I recommended to Sunny152, to help him understand it.

I didn't design the origional circuit and not really pleased with the design, but this should clear up any problems in assembly.

One BIG Problem is this amp has NO Speaker Protection. If It Fails, It WILL BLOW THE SPEAKER, INSTANTLY!

Take care.......Gary

Attachments

• tda2030.jpg
    tda2030.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,743
Hi Sunny,
That 200W amp circuit is all over the web. Here it is with much more detail:
https://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/audio/013/

Note that the TDA2030 has an absolute maximum supply voltage rating of only 36V, and that is when the supply is lightly loaded (amp is idling).
The TDA2030A is rated at 44V and has much better audio spec's.
The supply must be very close to 44V for this amp to produce 200W with the TDA2030A ICs, but not exceed 44V at idle. That implies using a regulated supply, or you could use an unregulated 38V supply (43V at idle) and get 200W music power (only for a moment before the supply voltage sags).
This project also talks about using 2 huge heatsinks with fan cooling.

I Explained the Voltage to this person and also told him that I really doubt it is useful for his purpose, but he insists on building it anyway. He wants to use it with a Church Organ.

I told him to use the Point Ground, as it eliminates "Ground Loops".

OH Well, it is his choice.

chemelec said:
I Explained the Voltage to this person and also told him that I really doubt it is useful for his purpose, but he insists on building it anyway. He wants to use it with a Church Organ.

Church organ! - all those nice loud long sustained notes, not really the best use for the crappiest 200W amplifier design you can find 8)

The amplifier works fine

I built that amplifier a couple of years ago and it worked fine, but i had used t1-t2 and t3-t4 as tip 35 and tip 36 or[bd249 and 250 ] and the operation voltage as 24v

With only a 24V supply, the output power into a 4 ohm speaker is only 55W at clipping.

.... and there are _way_ too few parts hanging on the mains side of the transformer if there is any delusion of this thing surviving for a long time. I would hook this thing up to a line input protection module at the very least. One line surge and that 10000uF is going to blow a hole in itself.

and how about a fuse somewhere in the supply path? Or is beautiful organ smoke too cool?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back