Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

200ma on 2N3906 values?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attached a diagram from Nigels' terrific PIC site

It's a high side driver similar to the one on the Circuit Cellar site
**broken link removed**

Assuming T1 is a 2N3904 and T2 is a 2N3906
My question(s) is / are:

1) With a voltage of 24VDC what values & wattage would be ideal for the resistors to switch T2 for full current (200ma)

2) If I required more current say 400ma on T2 are there better choices for T2?

3) There is a HEXFET IRFL9014 version at the bottom of the Circuit Cellar article; would this be a better choice for higher current designs.

PS I'd love to use a UDN2985 and (hopefully) gang two outputs to get the 250ma max output of the device. Problem with the UDN2985 is finding them in Toronto, (the ULN2803 is easy to find)

In case you're wondering it's to drive four very large LED seven segment displays, the voltage is under 24v and the current can be as high a 60ma per segment (24ma works fine though) For the low side driver I was going to use a sn74246 but decided to use a larger PIC and a ULN2803 (more flexable too)

I'll post the schematics on my site when they're ready.

Attachments

• lamp_source2.gif
    lamp_source2.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Personally I like to run transistors well under their limits, I'd probably move to a small power transistor for the currents you're talking about - something like a BD132.

We have had excellent results with the MJD350 PNP device for high side switches, and the MJD340 NPN for low side switches. These parts are tougher than nails. The NPN(PNP) predrivers can stay in the SOT-23 of TO-92 package very comfortably.

A couple common PNP devices

The 2N2907A (TO-92) or MMBT2907A (SOT-23) are 60v/800-ma...

The 2N4403 (TO-92) or MMBT4403 (SOT-23) are 40v/600-ma...

Have fun... Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back