20euro multimeter with capitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

macobt

THis APPA97 model china version I have buy in my town for 20euros,so my qwestion is:Is it expensive

Attachments

• multimeter 1.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 150
  • multimeter 2.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 144
I have had a fairly expensive Fluke digital multimeter for about 13 years and it still works perfectly. When I bought mine, my boss bought a cheap Chinese one from RadioCrap and it lasted a couple of weeks.

I bought a cheap Chinese one for my tool kit (in case it got stolen) and it is very accurate and it has lasted for 5 years. It might last another 5 years.

Flip a coin to see if a cheap Chinese multimeter is a bargain.
A good quality multimeter is guaranteed to work perfectly for many years.

"A good quality multimeter is guaranteed to work perfectly for many years."

Well I dropped my Fluke 40ft off a structure at work once and it certainly didn't work after that I love my Flukes, have 3 handhelds and 2 bench models but I think that it's cool that a beginner can pick up a functional DVM for just a few bucks these days. More choices is always better and the law of quality Vs price will still always apply.

Lefty

The cheap meters are very poor quality. The switch contacts are rusting steel.
The circuit board is cheap phenolic-paper.
I don't think the semiconductors are sealed properly.

I have seen cheap Chinese electronic toys with important parts missing so obviously they weren't even tested.
It is a gamble with cheap things.

the capacitance meter makes it worth the 20s but what is that switch? don't tell me it came with that switch!

you can find chinese multimeters without capacitance meter for as cheap as 5E.

P.S most of them count fine because most of them using the same good old IC.

Last edited:
Measuring hazardous voltages with a cheap and nasty meter might not be a good idea, my advise is to keep below 60VDC or 25VAC.

That meter looks ultra-cheap, I have a cheap meter without capacitance but it has a transistor tester which is handy.

it is always a gamble with those, I have bunch of different china ones, some die after few weeks, some work for years, I used to use bunch of them as temperature sensors (they cost ~2$ and temp sensor cost 10$ ), most of them work still after 5+ years.

Pretty accurate for RV, fairly accurate for A, transistor tester "works" have no idea how accurately, temp works perfectly (it is R anyway) and capacitor is +/-10% accurate... The leads on the probes get rusty but devices are so cheap (~2$) that I throw them away instead of cleaning them... The interesting thing is that price is related to size and not accuracy / functionality

Most of the chinese products lack mechanical stability and accuracy.

I bought an analog multimeter the other day and it failed right away.

I opened it and found the PCB had slid off the clamps holding it in place. That made the rotary switch not to conduct. I fixed it using hot glue. It works perfectly now measuring around at cars and motorbyces.

I wouldn't bet the readout is correct, but it suffices to find out if there is voltage or conductance.

Futurlec says you should buy three of them. Then maybe one of those extremely cheap meters will work?

I bought a 5 Euro multimeter locally. It is the same as the picture of the cheapest one that Furturlec sells. It does what it claims to do. I will order the one with the temperature probes.
If it does not work I'll tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…