20MHz Oscillator not working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i try to use 3FB2 (HS) or 3FB1 (XT) it builds with out any errors but when it comes to programming the chip this error comes up:

ICD0161: Verify failed (MemType = Config, Address = 0x2007, Expected Val = 0x3FB2, Val Read = 0x3FB0)

Thanks for the help guys

The supply bypass capacitor must be a ceramic disc type with very short leads and connected as close to the power supply pins of the oscillator as possible.

imhereithink said:
Thanks for the hint, i switched the bandwidth from full to 20MHz, and now im getting a smooth sine wave, is this correct? AFAIK it was supposed to be a sqaure wave output. Sorry for the silly question
That was actually supposed to be more of a little joke then a serious suggestion. I apologize if I misled you in any way. A square wave at 20 MHz. would require edges with risetimes in the 2-3 nanosecond range. The problem is that once an edge gets going it's pretty hard to stop it. It doesn't take much trace inductance to make it ring like a church bell. That's why oscillators at this frequency tend to look like sine waves.

Last edited:
LOL its cool dont worry about it thanks for all the advice and info. I will stop this thread now since the original subject is now sorted out. Now i will start a new one reffering to the new prob in the microcontrollers section

Thanks again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…