220VAC zero detection and other connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

Hi..
according to the notes in AVR document, lets say i connect the mains to my uC.
My test setup: Laptop usb powering my uC and UART connection using serial-to-usb connection to another port on my laptop to uC for debugging.

So should i remove all other connections before connecting the mains or is it ok for test purpose if i am careful.

On safety grounds I would advise the use of an isolating transformer to derive the mains input signal.

On safety grounds I would advise the use of an isolating transformer to derive the mains input signal.
My final design will not have any isolation, so i want to run from mains and see the output in my terminal program.
SO i guess i am good to go. i have to be super careful

something about connecting a micro to the mains makes me very uncomfortable! i think i am more surprised by the fact that microchip and others show how to connect there chips to the mains. LG has asked me a few times if he can try it and i might let him one day when i have the time to be there throughout! also it will have to wait until i have some kind of isolation in place.
i would find it very difficult to explain to the wife that the funny smell coming from the lab was infact her son slightly overcooked!

I did not get the guts to connect the mains while its all hooked up with my laptop... so i used a 220vac-12vac transformer to do the testing. I can effort to loose some uC but not my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…