Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240vac multi led driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiec

hi, im fairly new to electronics and was wondering if this circuit i made up would work?

Capture2.JPG

input = 240vac
led current = 15ma x 15 = 225ma total
led voltage = 3.3v each = 16.5v per 5 led strip

also if this circuit would work, how would i work out all the component values?

thanks

We've seen this so many times before. It's way too dangerous to work off the mains without a transformer.

Now that I've done the "safety" thing, you must put a resistor in series with each series string of LEDs. You see, LED's are current dependent animals and their personal voltage varies with temperature and manufacturing variations. If you put a bunch of them in parallel, they will fight, overheat, and start burning out.

Other than that, use a mains transformer. Not just for safety reasons, but because the resistors used to lower the rectified voltage for the regulator chip will be huge, expensive, and wasteful of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back