Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Phase Rotation/Sequence Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunedwolf

Has anyone came across a good schematic for a
Polyphase Sequence Indicator ?

I'm looking for something that will give me clockwise/counter clockwise, phase fail and frequency indication, and be able to handle a wide input voltage...

Ok, so I want a lot :)

I could design and build one, but I'm tied up with loads of other things just now, and just can't spare the time, I really don't want to buy one either, because I rarely use one of these things, but as usual, just when I am really busy with other stuff, I have a need for one :(

Any help is you can give me is appreciated :)

Hi, tunedwolf
I use them a lot, work in the power industry and connect up generators to distribution transformers when we have cable faults.

I use the Kyoritsu 8031 which has led voltage indicators and a little 3Ø motor inside which drives a disc with a mark on it.
We also use the Densokki phase sequence meters as well which only have a disc in them.

I have a schema somewhere and if i can find it will post it on this forum.

Personally i don't trust the neon ones which only show correct or not correct.
The damage done when phasesequence is wrong or changed by not testing prior to disconnecting can be a lot more expensive and possibly buy you 10 of those meters at $100 each.

RODALCO said:
Hi, tunedwolf
The damage done when phasesequence is wrong or changed by not testing prior to disconnecting can be a lot more expensive and possibly buy you 10 of those meters at $100 each.

I agree, the damage done if you get it wrong in some circumstances can be amazing, some of the machines I am called to work on have no protection against incorrect sequencing, the resulting damage could run into thousands of pounds. Hence my need for this test instrument. I don't use this all the time, only on a rare occaision, so it hardly justifies me buying one, it will only gather dust. I may end up having to shelf the job until I get time to design and build one, if I can't find a schematic that suits me.

Thanks for the EDN links EM, I have a copy of that schematic somewhere, but it's a little too simplistic as a test instrument for me...it really only provides a clockwise/counter clockwise indication. I'm looking for a very wide input range, and phase fail indication as well as frequency indication etc, so the search goes on :)

I appreciate the help guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back