3 Phase Rotation/Sequence Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunedwolf

Has anyone came across a good schematic for a
Polyphase Sequence Indicator ?

I'm looking for something that will give me clockwise/counter clockwise, phase fail and frequency indication, and be able to handle a wide input voltage...

Ok, so I want a lot

I could design and build one, but I'm tied up with loads of other things just now, and just can't spare the time, I really don't want to buy one either, because I rarely use one of these things, but as usual, just when I am really busy with other stuff, I have a need for one

Any help is you can give me is appreciated

Hi, tunedwolf
I use them a lot, work in the power industry and connect up generators to distribution transformers when we have cable faults.

I use the Kyoritsu 8031 which has led voltage indicators and a little 3Ø motor inside which drives a disc with a mark on it.
We also use the Densokki phase sequence meters as well which only have a disc in them.

I have a schema somewhere and if i can find it will post it on this forum.

Personally i don't trust the neon ones which only show correct or not correct.
The damage done when phasesequence is wrong or changed by not testing prior to disconnecting can be a lot more expensive and possibly buy you 10 of those meters at $100 each.

RODALCO said:
Hi, tunedwolf
The damage done when phasesequence is wrong or changed by not testing prior to disconnecting can be a lot more expensive and possibly buy you 10 of those meters at $100 each.

I agree, the damage done if you get it wrong in some circumstances can be amazing, some of the machines I am called to work on have no protection against incorrect sequencing, the resulting damage could run into thousands of pounds. Hence my need for this test instrument. I don't use this all the time, only on a rare occaision, so it hardly justifies me buying one, it will only gather dust. I may end up having to shelf the job until I get time to design and build one, if I can't find a schematic that suits me.

Thanks for the EDN links EM, I have a copy of that schematic somewhere, but it's a little too simplistic as a test instrument for me...it really only provides a clockwise/counter clockwise indication. I'm looking for a very wide input range, and phase fail indication as well as frequency indication etc, so the search goes on

I appreciate the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…