Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 to 50VDC LED Indicator (How)? Why--> Power-Over-Etherne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very simple project actually, Power-Over-Ethernet Injector similar to this type of device https://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/ps4820-poe.php

The idea behind the Giraffe design is to use two Griaffes to add Power-Over-Ethernet to devices like Access Points that don't support POE.

I was thinking of using a LM317 as a current regulator for an LED but the max voltage is 37V and the POE standard is 48V (although most home non POE gear is far less than that often 5V to 15VDC)

Attachments

• giraffe.gif
    giraffe.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 459
egads ... don't use a linear reg, you'll need a huge heatsink to get 2-3 amps at 3.3v off a 48v line

look at www.national.com and www.fairchild.com and www.ti.com for "point of load" or even "poe" buck converters

many of them are pre-programmed for common voltages (3.3, 5, 12, 15) and require only a few caps and a small coil.

Re: 3 to 50VDC LED Indicator (How)? Why--> Power-Over-Eth

William At MyBlueRoom said:
I was thinking of using a LM317 as a current regulator for an LED but the max voltage is 37V and the POE standard is 48V (although most home non POE gear is far less than that often 5V to 15VDC)

Try using a current regulating diode. They are the size of a 1N4148 or TO-92 and good for a few mA from 2~3V up to about 100V.

Attachments

• crd.gif
    crd.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 300
Try using a current regulating diode.

Awesome, I've been working with electronics for more than 30yrs although my purview is digital and I've never heard of a constant current diode till now.

Found an excellent description here

:mrgreen: eblc1388 your oracle status is truly deserved

Attachments

• jfet_diode.png
    jfet_diode.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 322
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back