315Mhz Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

Hi, I like to build a remote application that use 315Mhz Receiver with coin size (CR2032) 3V battery power, the chalenge is have to be very small size, 5cm x 2cm, and battery power.

Question:
1. What is the typical/minimum current consumption of a 315Mhz receiver?
Which operate on 3V? So I can check how long the battery can last.

2. If the anttenna is insert to ground ,I mean outdoor, about one inch of bare wire under soil, will it improve or reduce the receiver range?

The remote range is target to be 20m, I think can achieve by increase TX power, if receiver signal reception is poor.

Thank you,

you need to select a specific receiver. the datasheet will tell you the current.

if you mean insert the antenna in the soil, don't, it will reduce reception. your best reception will be with the antenna as high as possible.

On lower frequency RF antennas, conductive radials are used with a vertical element to improve the efficiency of the antenna. It's common to put the radials just below ground so that ground cover can be maintained. A ground plane antenna provides similar effects however the vertical element and radials are as high above ground as is reasonably possible. The radials on the ground plane do affect the horizontal directivity as well as the feedpoint impedance. A ground plane antenna is more common on higher frequencies. You may have looked at some recommendations for lower frequency (30 mHz and lower) operation. I do not think a vertical radiator with ground mounted radials is a good choice.

Careful layout at these frequencies is essential. It has been my experience that most people who do PCB layout have no clue when if comes to RF circuits. If you can find recommendations in the datasheet or application notes try very hard to follow them.

Just a long shot here but I'm wondering if it's easier to visit a junkyard and scavenge the receiver used for the remote control door lock/unlock? They operate near 300mhz or so but I'm unsure what their operating voltage is... likely to be 12v or perhaps stepped down from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…