Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matthewirl

hi there as above wonder is there somewhere I could purchase a 36 volt ac to 120 volt ac transformer.
I am using it to connect an American imported power supply control unit for a push pull wire feed gun to a uk 3 phase welder.
The power supply for the gun requires 120volt ac in and the welder I have had a 36 volt ac output on the back so if I had a transformer in line I could wire it up and the whole setup would be self contained rather than plugging in the welder and supply separately.

Are you certain the 36 volts is ac not dc?

Get a 120V to 36V transformer and use it "backwards". A transformer will work 120 to 32 or 32 to 120.
How much power (or current) to run the push pull wire feed gum?

Well I haven’t actually tested the output to see which it is but it is marked as being 36 volt AC
As for the power draw of the push pull it will be quite low as it only has to run a very small motor to feed the wire, all other functions are already powered from the traditional euro connector on front of the welder.
Thanks for your reply!

Attached is images of what I’m powering so 36v ac out from welder into the power supply for the torch which needs 120v ac as it is from the US market.
It only has to power the small motor inside the handle nothing more so power draw is low.
I can’t seem to find any 36v ac to 120v ac step up transformers only dc inverters with these voltages.
If you know of anywhere that does sell these or a type with the correct number of windings I believe it needs a turns ratio of 0.3
Any help at all is much appreciated.
Thanks, Matthew.

Attachments

• IMG_6989.png
    IMG_6989.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6990.png
    IMG_6990.png
    785.3 KB · Views: 3
The fuse for the supply is 1 A, so that represents 120 W. You need a 120 W or larger trnansformer.

You could use this:-
https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pro/mcta160-18/toroidal-transformer/dp/38K4911

1725834136520.png

The 36 V input would be what would normally be the secondary and you need to wire the two windings in series. That would be done by connecting red to orange and connecting black and yellow to the 36 V ac supply.

The two 115 V windings, marked as primary but being used as the the secondary, would need to be in parallel. Wire blue to violet and to the live connection of the load. Wire grey to brown and to the neutral connection of the load.

The dots on the winding diagram are important, and you cannot swap one winding (eg blue to grey) if it is connected to another winding.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back