Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4/20ma loop or 5V solution Expert opinion ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hi ,I have a Voltage sensor outputting 4/20ma signal . Its to be placed inside panel box. My meter is to be placed 3meters away from the sensor/panelbox. I need to know;

1) Should I place a shielded cable and drop 4/20ma by 250E resistor and feed it to ADC of MCU directly .

2) Do I require expensive Instrumentation amplifier solution? BUT the distance of signal travel is too less .

4) Should I use a sensor with 0~5V output directly with shielded cables.

Please note around the process , I could see alternator and other DC motors (Big one in about 100KW)operating .

Expert advice is most desirable . Rgds

Hi ,I have a Voltage sensor outputting 4/20ma signal . Its to be placed inside panel box. My meter is to be placed 3meters away from the sensor/panelbox. I need to know;

1) Should I place a shielded cable and drop 4/20ma by 250E resistor and feed it to ADC of MCU directly .

2) Do I require expensive Instrumentation amplifier solution? BUT the distance of signal travel is too less .

4) Should I use a sensor with 0~5V output directly with shielded cables.

Please note around the process , I could see alternator and other DC motors (Big one in about 100KW)operating .

Expert advice is most desirable . Rgds

hi,
For long cable runs in electrically noisy environments I would always use a 4-20mA loop, connected using twin screened cable.

Terminate with a 250R resistor at the receiving end, this will give a 1V thru 5V signal output across the 250R.

If the 1V offset is a problem, use a OPA to remove the 1V and make the OPA output 0 to 5V == 4 to 20mA.

Thanks for the reply, I will get the twin screened cable earlier I was planning for single shielded cable. Should I terminate it at sensor end or the MCU/ADC end. Regards

Thanks for the reply, I will get the twin screened cable earlier I was planning for single shielded cable. Should I terminate it at sensor end or the MCU/ADC end. Regards

I would initially terminate at the 250R end.

Obviously avoid any ground loops in the cabling.

EDIT:
added pdf

Attachments

• IEEEGrounding.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back