4 Axis Unipolar Stepper control...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip_256

Hello. I am currently working on a project involving four vexta unipolar stepping motors. They are rated at 0.8A and 6VDC. I need to build a motor controller for these and I was wondering if my idea is plausible. I plan on using 8 MOSFETS for my power switching hooked up to the LPT1 port of my laptop. Four of the mosfets would work to enable the desired motor power, while the other 4 would be a general interface to send the correct sequence. The program I am writing would continually switch from reverse to forward sequence, but it would only enable the particular motor whenever it was needed. Does this sound possible?

Thanks...
zip

Hi Zip,

I know what you mean. I thought about doing the same thing as my steppers didn't need to stay powered after I moved them. I thought about wiring the windings in parallel and switching the high-side or 'source' to the individual motors but somehow I felt it wouldn't work (have you ever wired two steppers in parallel? It's almost magical how moving one will move the other. Grin).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…