Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 wire stepper motor driving issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven_first

Hello all. I have a quick question that Google is having trouble helping me with so I figured I would ask here. I have a few DLP color wheels that I have been playing around with recently but I am having trouble driving them. They are all 4 wire stepper motors with one common and 3 coils all connected to the common (guess that is why they call it common!). Any way, I have been using a simple BS2 code to run the motor while using ULN2803 Darlington pair IC to supply the current to drive the motor. This works ok I guess. I have to push the motor to get it started and I am very limited in the RPM I can get to. I was suspecting that it was because of the slowness of the ULN2803 but I am not sure. I have tried to find info on drivers for this type of stepper but all I find is 6 wire and 4 wire dual coil stepper drivers. I guess my questions are these: Why do I have to push my motor to get it started? If I don’t it just jitters and even after I push it, it will sometimes end up spinning backwards. Why can’t I get any higher RPM’s out of this thing, I am maybe getting 750 to 1200 at best; any faster pulses and it won’t spin. And lastly, where can I find a proper driver IC or board for this type of motor? Here is a copy of my amazingly complex program to; it is set as fast as I can drive the stepper. The ‘pls’ is something I was just playing around with to experiment with delay between coils.

pls VAR Word
npls VAR Word

pls = 1
npls = 10

'main
DO
HIGH 0
PAUSE npls
LOW 0
PAUSE pls

HIGH 1
PAUSE npls
LOW 1
PAUSE pls

HIGH 2
PAUSE npls
LOW 2
PAUSE pls
LOOP
END

......They are all 4 wire stepper motors with one common and 3 coils all connected to the common (guess that is why they call it common!)....

That's not a stepper motor. Sounds more like a BLDC motor...

BLDC motors need the speed to be 'ramped' up. Listen to the hard drive in your PC when first booted - it starts off slowly before reaching full speed.

Your program is running at a fixed frequency that employs no ramping, hence the push-start requirement and limited top speed. Changing the pause period(s) will alter the frequency and thus the top speed, but will still require a push-start.

Change your Google searches to BLDC motor and look at example schematics.

This should get you started:
Brushless DC electric motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH.

Thanks for the help. I am reading up now but I am finding that all the brushless dc motors I am seeing are 3 wire motors and do not have a common lead. I have not found anything on a 4 wire motor just yet… The coil configuration of my motor is a wye configuration with a tap on the central common point and so far no info on driving those (attached a pretty picture of what I have just in case it doesn’t make sense). I have some RC car brushless controllers that I tired messing around with but they won’t drive the motors even with just leaving the common un-connected. Still a brushless dc motor? What do I do about driving it then?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 560
The radio control guys sometimes build drivers for brushless motors, sometimes using pics or other mc. Try poking around them using google.

Thanks, I tried driving my color wheel with a brushless esc but the esc would shut down after only a few revolutions of the wheel; probably to high of a resistance seeing most rc motors are about .2 ohms(ish) and this motor is about 6 if I remember correctly. I got some code made up with a ramp up that is doing ok but seeing I am not using any feedback at all it is a hit or miss thing and the speed is very limited but it is a start. I wish I could just get an adapter to put the glass on a real brushless motor, that would help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back