Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4051 Analog Multiplexer Concept Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palbert

Hello all,

I am going to use the 4051 multiplexer in one of my projects and I am wondering about the analog out pin. Since the select pins range from 000 to 111, will this mean that if my 4051 is being supplied by 5V, 000 will correspond to 0 Volts, 001 to .658 Volt, 010 to 1.25V etc etc until 111 would give 5V out? Or will this just pass through the voltage of the selected channel?

Probably a dumb question but its pretty important to know.

Thanks

Hello all,

I am going to use the 4051 multiplexer in one of my projects and I am wondering about the analog out pin. Since the select pins range from 000 to 111, will this mean that if my 4051 is being supplied by 5V, 000 will correspond to 0 Volts, 001 to .658 Volt, 010 to 1.25V etc etc until 111 would give 5V out?

This functionality is that of a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC).

Hello all,

Or will this just pass through the voltage of the selected channel?

This is the functionality of a multiplexer. This is what you will get. In reviewing the UTC datasheet for the 4051, page 5 has a nice little truth table to clear everything up for you.

Ahh, yeah that would make sense. Welp, onto the DAC it is for me...

Thanks ADWSystems.

A CD4051 is a multiple switch. It has either 1 input and one of 8 outputs or it has one of 8 inputs and 1 output.
It has a supply voltage from 3V to 18V. It has 3 binary inputs to select which switch is turned on. It has an Inhibit pin.
A switch that is turned on is like a 120 ohm resistor from input to output.

Thanks for the response audioguru and sorry for the late response. I just ended up writing a program for my micro which just polls pins. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back