433MHz directional antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparer

Hi, can anyone help me with this? I need to restrict sensitivity to a handheld keyfob to within about 5m and from a very narrow field in front of the antenna. It should be very insensitive behind the antenna. The RF frequency is 433.92Mhz. What would be the best directional antenna design for this. I thought about some kind of 'cantenna' design because it will need to be small in size but I haven't a clue where to start with the design. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The reality of directional antennas is that to be highly directional, they must be physically large; several wavelengths by several wavelengths. In antenna theory, that is called an antenna's aperture. A wavelength (λ) at 433Mhz is 3e8/433e6 = 0.7 meters. Can you handle that?

Most compact directional antenna is the Yagi.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,
Even 1 wavelength at 0.7m would be too large for my application. There are going to be about 25 receivers located about 5m apart from each other. The specification of the receiver states that the sensitivity can trimmed (via potentiometer) to about 2 metres (the maximum range is quoted as 8m). This means that there is potential for two adjacent receivers receiving the signal from a transmitter if the user stands between the receivers. In addition I could really do with using a range up to 5m in front of the receiver if that makes sense. Is there a way to create a narrow cone in front of the receiver without resorting to large yagi antenna (the architect would have a fit) or do physics dictate this is not possible?

I do believe the laws of physics (as we presently understand them) dictates the size of a directional antenna. So if you need a smaller antenna, you will need to go to a higher frequency.

Controlling 'range' by distance alone is a non-starter unless you have a perfectly anechoic environment.

Thanks for the info. So it seems that I will need at least a 70cm Yagi antenna to achieve my aim if I use 433Mhz.
RF is like a black art to me so this might be a naive question, but is it possible to construct some type of shield (faraday cage?) around part of an omnidirectional antenna so that the antenna is less receptive from different angles i.e. from behind? Would this create some directional sensitivity?

Yes, it is called a corner reflector antenna. However, the dimensions are still measured in wavelengths.

What are you trying to do? The way to locate an emitter in an area that is a few m long is to use ultra sonic (~50kHz) or GHz.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, that looks interesting.
I'm stuck with 433Mhz i'm afraid. Basically the system is for blind/partially sighted people. They are issued with key fobs by a nationwide body which they use to obtain information. We have trigger points that are located 5m adjacent to one another but the user should be able to trigger the device from 5m ahead of the trigger point. This means that there is potential for both triggers to be activated from one fob at the same time which is undesirable since the information is delivered by audio.
The idea was to provide a narrow 'beam' within which the user would activate the trigger without influencing adjacent triggers.

Are there only two nearby trigger points close to each other?

Does the person carrying the fob always approach from a known direction?

Another question: What is the environment? Is this inside a building? Outdoors?

There are 25+ trigger points in a large high ceiling building. The user can approach from either direction.

There are 25+ trigger points in a large high ceiling building. The user can approach from either direction.

Can you suspend the antennas above pointing down?

A four element narrow-spaced Yagi fits into a planar rectangle about 0.5λ wide and 0.6λ long. You could attach the thin wire elements of a Yagi to a piece of cardboard or foamboard hanging vertically.

The ceiling is very high (> 10 meters) and then there would be an issue with wiring and disgruntled architects.

Lol, I can see it now!! It seems like anything for 433Mhz is going to be massive.

Have you ever wondered why transmitting antennas for the AM broadcast band are 100m tall? (1/4λ monopole operated against ground).

To make a cantenna designed for 2400MHz work on 433Mhz, every dimension must be multiplied by the factor: 2400/433 = 5.5, so the diameter of the can would have to be ~20" instead of 3.25". Try the calculator , put in 20 inches as the diameter...

Scholarly article; here.

Last edited:
How about putting an omni antenna under floor in a duct. I don't think the floor has been laid yet. What would be the effect of concrete and screed. There would also be steel reinforcing.

Last edited:
How about putting an omni antenna under floor in a duct. I don't think the floor has been laid yet. What would be the effect of concrete and screed. There would also be steel reinforcing.

Wont work. All that steel is a Faraday Cage.

Having followed the thread from the start, I agree with MikeML.
One idea I had was to use a direction finding technique using to antennas to determine if the transmitter was to the side or in front of the information point, but this would increase the receiver complexity quite a lot.

The idea of putting the antenna under the floor may work.
I have no experience of such an installation, but it will be a poor antenna, which is just what you need in a situation like this.
At this point, rather than trying to install an antenna in the concrete, install a "PVC water pipe" from the ideal antenna location to the receiver location.
If the floor has not been layed yet, the cost of doing this should be minimal.
In the PVC water pipe, install a "sleeve dipole" on the end of a suitable coax cable and connect to the receiver.

Why not get one of the transmitters and the receivers and make a test set-up of this and try it out.

A bit of practical experience is far more valuable that all the best guesses here on ETO.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…