433MHz directional antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wont work. All that steel is a Faraday Cage.

I agree, but what is the "grid spacing" of the steel reinforcement?
If it is not too small compared with 70cm, some RF will get through.
Will the antenna be under or over the reinforcing steel?
Is is possible to cut a hole in the steel where the antenna will be?

JimB

There is somebody going to site tomorrow to see what the state of play is currently so he'll check out the idea of elongating the ducts. It would be difficult to construct a practical demonstration of this set up due to not being able to emulate the concrete and screed layer. How well would 433Mhz penetrate concrete if we ignore the reinforcement. We could setup a mock of the reinforcing so it is the concrete that is the unknown. I'll also see if the ducts can be put on top of the reinforcing.

There was also the idea of embedding a loop antenna into the concrete. Any ideas about that?

Last edited:
A magnetic loop on the floor's surface, or mounted on the wall about 4' above the floor might work. By desensitizing the receiver, it might give you sufficient localization of triggering.

Here is a comparison of patterns of various antennas, including the loop.

I found this information about a transmitting loop antenna. Would this be OK for receiving? Would it be OK at all?

Last edited:
I found this information about a transmitting loop antenna. Would this be OK for receiving? Would it be OK at all?

Yes, since you have signal to burn, the lack of gain (compared to more efficient antennas) will not effect you. Antennas are reciprocal; that is whatever directivity they exhibit on transmit also applies to receive.

Last edited:
Using a loop of 16cm circumference (5.1cm dia) with 10mm copper pipe the site specifies a 27pF 10V tuning capacitor @ 433.92 Mhz. Is that connected between the break in the loop and what type of capacitor is best? Also I'm guessing the loop could be made from 10mm square aluminium bar? Where do I connect the coaxial cable? Is it at the break in the loop also? I can't find a good guide on this.
Thanks for your help so far.

There is an antenna based on a H pattern fed at the center of the horizontal part of the H. Supposed to be resonant at all frequencies?

Also the theory goes that the tube of a satellite receiver antenna operates like a co-axial cable. What signal enters goes down the tube and is received by the antenna at the end of the tube exactly as it came in atthe top. I wondered if this is the case , can a hollow metal tube be used to point to an rf emmitting source picking up the signal from what it is pointed at strongly but picking up little of what is transmitting off to any side of it.

While looking at this ,vertical 1/4 wavelength antennas can be made directional by placing another at approx .25 wavelength spacing.

In fact all of the antenna theory including the loop antennas discussed can be put down to a length of metal in any shape picks up radio waves as a voltage . To read a particular frequency you must couple to that metal . A capacitor does that job.

Whatever the shape and mass of the metal affects which frequencies it favours . A thin wire of 170mm favours 433Mhz ,bend it how you like except back on itself. A thicker wire has a larger spread of favoured frequencies.

To increase the signal voltage more metal must be placed approx .25 wavelength away in the desired direction . RF hits the first bit of metal slows and then re-emits a burst of RF. The coupled metal receives this re-emitted burst in phase with the next wave coming through thus increasing the voltage. That is how you get gain .

The front metal also gets that next wave and re-emits it and the next wave is then received in phase with the third wave by the coupled metal etc.etc. I used to reckon I could see the yagi antenna shivering with exciting vibrations !

Last edited:
I need to do some practical testing to see if the under floor configuration will work. Another twist to this project is that I need to place two receiver devices reasonably close to each other that will trigger the same information. I had proposed to use two receivers however is it possible to connect 2 antenna to one receiver by using a T piece. What would be the effect of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…