47Kohm Resistor reduces 5Volt battery by how much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mettam

Hi,
Im new to electronics and I have a lot of questions swimming around here's just a few.

Q. If a resistor has a value of 47Kohm then how much does it stop the battery down by and how do you figure this out. (Ohms Law maybe?)

Q. If I have a 9Volt battery going into a LM555 IC will the IC blow?
How do I findout the capacity of the IC ? Can I use a multimetter to test it ? and once I know that, how do I figure out what size resistor I need to go between the 9V battery and the IC ?

Thanks in advance..

Justin.

mettam said:
Q. If a resistor has a value of 47Kohm then how much does it stop the battery down by and how do you figure this out.
The battery has an internal resistance that gets higher as the battery runs down. Then you simply have two resistors in series making a voltage divider. 47k draws such a low current that you won't notice the voltage drop with it connected to a new 9V battery.

Q. If I have a 9Volt battery going into a LM555 IC will the IC blow?
Look at the datasheets for ICs. They show the max limits, spec's and which pin does what. I go to www.datasheetarchive.com and the absolute max supply voltage for an LM555 is 18V but a max of 15V is recommended.

how do I figure out what size resistor I need to go between the 9V battery and the IC ?
A resistor is not required.

audioguru said:
A resistor is not required.

Not only it is not required, I guess it is a very bad Idea to put one for an IC. How do you know the current the IC is drawing at a given time? It can't be predicted. If the IC starts drawing more current (say when the PIN 3 goes high) the voltage drop across the IC would change and hence the reference voltage and disturb the timing cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…