Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 phase stepper motor driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhtavallaie

dear friends

I am trying to build a circuit which can control and drive a Berger Lahr 5 phase stepper motor (RDM 5913/50).

the stepper motor can carry around 2 amps on each winding .

the circuit I have built is very simple and consists of an lm555 to produce a <1khz clock and a 4022 counter which produce 5 pulse sequences on its Q0-Q4 outputs .

these outputs via a uln2004 drive the bases of 5 BU124 transistors to energize the 5 different stepper motor windings.

I am using 12 volts for the circuit and 24-30 volts to enrgise the stepper motor.

on power up although the BU124 bases are energized in sequence the motor does not step up or down and start vibrating.

lowering the clock rate does not help.

could you kindly help/ advise me to locate the fault.

rgds
hadi

Are you sure you have the phases connected in order?

jrz126 said:
Are you sure you have the phases connected in order?

thanks Jeff please advise about other possibilities

I am quite sure about the phase order because manual triggering of BU124 bases with 12 volt rotates the motor stepwise

are the BU124's PNP transistors? Sounds like they might be NPN if you trigger them with 12V.

The output of the uln2004 is inverted. see pg 5 of https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/07/ULN2004.pdf . If you are using NPN's, then you are actually turning each phase off in sequence. A simple inverter on the uln2004 inputs would correct this problem.

The ULN2004 looks like a reasonable open collector driver, but it isn't going to be able to source any current to the BU124 (150V, 10A NPN transistor?).

Look for some PNP power transistors, or just use 5 small signal NPN's as emitter followers on the outputs with a current limiting base resistor to each of the BU124's.

Dear Jeff@james

Thank You Very Much For Your Keen Advices .

I Think I Was Somehow Inspired To Do The Same Thing You Advised Before Receiving Your Comments.

What I Did In Addition To Your Comments Was Addinng 220 Ohm Resistors As Pull Ups To Uln2004 Outputs

These Resistors Should Be Low Enough To Trigger Bu124 Bases Via 150 Ohm Resisters In Series With The Base.

Now The Motor Is Stepping With A Reasonable Speed.

Looking Forward To Receiving Your Additional Advise.

Rgds
Hadi

i am having problems with the 5 phase stepper motor RDM 564/50

can any one help me with its stepping sequence in full and half step mode..

waiting for reply

thanks

Driver for Berger Lahr RDM

Hello dear friends
I have [Berger Lahr RDM 596/50 LHB] stepper motor. I am trying to create driver for my motor.
According to motor datasheet, i need to supply 36-50v. The conduction R = 0.47ohm and available I = 2.7 A.
I attach the schema of the driver plan that i use.
I think the problem is in the ir2101 h-brige driver.
I need a help please.

Thank you.

Attachments

• StepperMotor.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 1,309
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back