5-wire stepper motor driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msd

I am new to stepper motor. I do have a 5 wire stepper motor. shown in figure.
I wanted to build driver. So I found L297-L298 combination for driving my 5 wire stepper motor. I have found attached circuit to drive and I made it. But, I found that the circuit is used for 4 wire bipolar motor. As I am new, I want to know that how I can use this circuit to drive 5 wire stepper motor.
I think 5 wire is most probably 4 phase unipolar motor!!!

I have used controller to control clock( ton=20ms and toff=2ms) , clockwise and anticlockwise direction,reset and enable.

The Control pin is kept to ground.

Currently my motor does not rotate at all(not even any jerk.)
Is there something wrong???please advise...

Attachments

• coils.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 875
  • circuit.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,821
Finally I got the solution.....my unipolar motor worked with l297-l298 configuration....

wow a 3yr old thread back to life!

i really wish we could wipe the web of references to those crap chips! use one with internal FETs!

Seeing as the L298 has a rather odd footprint it would be wise to design a PCB. If you are going to design a PCB for a uni-polar stepper driver you may as well use an IC designed this millennia like the SLA7062 or just buy a module like the StepStick (the latter being recommended).

Modern ICs can do microstepping, internal sequencing (no need to do software control or use an L297) and have internal fet's with a very low Rds on making them much more efficient.

So you means that using SLA7062 is better than L297, is it right??
For designing the PCB is no matter for me, but I need a full schematic for built it because i don't able to configure/manipulate/change the electronic schematic. i just able build from schematic.sorry for this guys....

So if SLA7062 is better, please show me it schematic,,please.....

Help me guys..

Everyone here,,please help me. I need Schematic L297 combination for unipolar stepper motor (5 wire).
Please help me..

Driving steppers in a bipolar mode you drive the two coils (end to end) with H bridges (which the driving IC's have for you) and ignore the centre tap(s). I would not waste your time with L297 and L298 though (expensive, poor efficiency, large, crude driving methods), StepStick is a cheap widely available bipolar driver with microstepping (driving bipolar will give you more torque, as uni polar only energises half the coil at a time) and is very cheap at about £10 - you will not even get the L297 and L298 for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…