555 timing help PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi.
This shows 100uF caps and the change of resistors required for the timing.

A 2N3904/5 will be OK

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    44.2 KB · Views: 158
Hi
Circuit works well ,,well after a bit of pot twiddling and putting a sound generator at the relay contacts coz I kept missing the on period (opps)
Many thanks but now I'd like to ask what would you increase in value to say make to timer off for 30 mins aprox but keeping the same on period and is your diagram generator bought or a free download.

Thanks steve

hi Steve,
The 555 will not extend to 30mins, you will require additional IC's to get 1 min ON, 30 min OFF.

Lets know what you decide.

Hi Neil
This project is to replace a broken manual switch on a toy of my daughters that was bought many years ago which she does NOT want to throw away.

What I didnt realise it has its own auto off around the 20 minute mark and thou the new timer worked well by its self putting the two together something was not right ! ! ! ! ! I'm playing with the 2 of them as I write. Not always a good thing but this is where good and bad ideas happen LOL.

So if a new circuit could be built with the same very short 1sec on period and with an off period in steps of 5mins from say 20mins to an hour would help loads.

I know that I'm taking up a lot of your time and I am very grateful for all the help you have give me so far.

On a slightly different note and using the output stage of the 555 circuit (ie R4/trans/relay etc) that u have already designed for me, I want to use it on the outputs of a 4017 (knight rider style but I want to stagger/jump it). Having tied two of the outputs together with diodes , so I have only 5 outputs now, my question is - - using 12v supply, would I still have to use a 1k resistor at R4 or would it be different.
Sorry its long winded and that it makes some sense.

Cheers Steve

Hi there Neil

This may not be the right place to but this but it has the slow timer 555 also the relay trigger you designed also its a carry on with our chat.

The idea is to power 5 led mini kits in turn then repeat it for however long the power is applied. The green box is just a copy of the relay trigger you designed and repeated 4 more times.

The red box is My question "will this work" as in will the 4017 trigger the 2n3053 or is the resister wrong.

Until I power it up I will not know if the timing of the 555 is right. I wanted to "grab" the attention of the viewer without it being overpowering.

Many thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 555 short on long off+4017+TRANS+RELAY.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 149
hi
I should be able to post the 'other' circuit, tomorrow, ie, 20 min delay and 5 min intervals

We will look over you circuit, there are lots of night rider led drivers on the web.

BTW, who is Neil.

Its Portsmouth.!

EDIT:
In the circuit, post #25, you dont need a 2N3055 to drive a relay!... use any 200mA 25Vce transistor.

Last edited:
Hi there Eric

WTHeck , help and sorry ,, OMGosh where did I get neil from ,, sorry

Yep Portsmouth I grew up around North end, Stubington Ave LOL

I know its sort of a knight rider but it works differently ,, its going to power 5 different mini led circuit hence the need of the relay to act as a switch

Concentrating on the schematic in post #25 & reference the 555 are the components about right for a 1sec (aprox) on period and 30 mins (aprox) period.

Also if I change the transistor will the diodes and 1k resistor be ok to power a transistor ,, the only transistors i have here are
BC547 ,, umm only 100mA
2N3053 ,, dont need
BC337 ,, bit smaller ,, is this ok

Reason for asking, I cant get out till the end of the week and as to the "other" circuit 2moro would be brilliant

Many thanks for the help and putting up with my daft mistakes

Steve

hi,
The 555 timer looks ok.
Whats the resistance [ operating current] of the relay.??

hi, If you are using 555, then there is no need for an another transistor in the output of 555 to drive a relay. You can directly connect the 555's output to a relay if it doesn't require more than 200mA, a pn2222a,sl100b or 2N3904 transistors will work if you certainly want a relay driver.

Last edited:
hi,
This is the basic circuit for the 20mins and 5min select thru to 60min.

Get the datasheets for the IC's and draw a schematic showing the pins numbers, etc and post, we will check it for you.

Are you able to do that.??

EDIT:
Its a quiet day, so this is the schematic.

Attachments

• 5monDiv3.gif
    45.6 KB · Views: 153
  • AAesp06.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has given input into this project , ESP ERIC
BUT its back to the drawing board with using TinyCad's generic components ,, THERE flamin wrong (well I think they are) ,, after building the 555 slow timer you did Eric I used "tinyCad" to draw it and imported it into VeeCad. Built it then blow it up (smoked it) coz the trans where wrong way round
I'm sort of glad I didnt build your circuit in post #32 but sad coz thats where I wanna be
Cheers again to everyone Steve

Think I'll try it again then go to LM324 fading LED I've seen on here and play with tranisitors b4 I get onto you post#32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…