Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555timer- What did I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quacker

I tried to modify a Doctronics timer to control a small toy motor. I changed some of the resistors and capacitor. I want the motor to turn on for 2-3 seconds and off for about 1 minute. Hooked it up with the LED lights included with the kit before hooking up motor and ran with 9 V and 4.5 V , the lights do not light up. What did I do wrong? Attached modified schematic is attached.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 237
Hi,
˙uʍop ǝpısdn sı pǝɥɔɐʇʇɐ ǝɹnʇɔıd ǝɥʇ

Why do you have 1.8 kΩ resistor at the output? Say each LED drops 2 V, there will be only 1.67 mA driving the LED. I'm not sure whether that is enough though.

I don't think this is gonna work at 4.5 V.

Also, get a 100 nF capacitor from pin 5 to ground.

As for a motor, is a 555 timer capable of running it? How much current does your motor draw?

At 6 V, the current draw is 0.35Amp, and 4.5V it is 0.27 Amp. It does not sound like the 555 will drive the motor. What is my other option?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 186
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back