Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

59 Ohm resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrash-uk

I am trying to repair a alarm system i own but i need to replace a resister thats gone off value due to getting hot. Its a 59 ohm - 1 watt - 5%. I have looked everywhere on the net and found nothing better than 250ma in 59 ohm's. All others are only available in large quantities in the thousands.
Can anyone help with either a 1 or 2w resister please in a small quantity for a single repair project.

cheers
Jon

Welcome.
Use two 120Ω paralleled, or any values that sum your needs in series. Discarded switching power supplies or other equipment may have suitable values. Canibalize.

59 +- 5% = ~56 - 62 ohms.

Any combination of 1% tolerance resistors that fall into that range of combined resistance and have a combined wattage equal to or greater than the original will work.

No need to over complicate a simple concept.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I see exactly what you mean and your right. I was just trying to get the exact same component but your right its not really necessary.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I see exactly what you mean and your right. I was just trying to get the exact same component but your right its not really necessary.
Sometimes custom high power resistors are made to keep the parts count or cost down.
Just replace it with what you can.
If the old one over heated? you should go for a higher power anyway.

You might find a 60 ohm 1W fairly easy.

Buy a 20 pack of 1/4 watt 480 ohm resistors put 8 in parallel to get you very close to 59 ohms. 8 resistors 1/4W in parallel gives you 2 watt. Resistors will be plus and minus about 2 ohms pick and choose the correct resistors you can probably get very close to 59.

Last edited:
"4 resistors 1/4W in parallel gives you 1 watt. Resistors will be plus and minus about 2 ohms pick and choose the correct resistors you can probably get very close to 59."

But 59 ohm 1 watt got too hot. So you are not solving the problem. It has to be a higher wattage, say 1.00001 watts.

In a pinch, you can get a lower value resistor and higher wattage and FILE the resistor to be 59 ohms. Cover the removed area with nail polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back