Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V to 5.2V DC-DC Step Up Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfdown

I'm looking for a quick and easy way to step up a 5V regulated supply to 5.2V and no greater than 6.5V and able to hold sustained current of 600mA. An all-in-one solution is best, but if I the parts are really cheap, I can take the time to solder it together. So far the AnyVolt-Micro looks pretty good.

You sure your 5.2V circuit won't run fine on 5V going through that much effort for .2 volts seems a waste of time, what application do you have that requires that specific voltage?

Well, I'm in the process of testing it right now. The application is a digital camera (normally 4 AAs) ... and it looks like the low-voltage cut-off is around 5.1V. My supply is 5.01 or so. I haven't tested with the 5.01 supply yet, cause that is at a different location. My other supply is 4.85 and that did not cut it. Basically, I'm planning for the worst right now. If it turns out that 5V is enough, then obviously I will avoid the DC conversion.

The 5V is coming of a PicoPSU I've already have installed on my system. This also gives me a 12V too, which is in use, plus the 5V is powering some other devices ... so its not really an option to replace it ... only add on another conversion.

I was kinda hoping to get an answer like "just get x,y,z parts from radio shack and hook them up" ... since that doesn't sound like an option, i'll probably just invest in the AnyVolt.

Last edited:
I tested with a 5.08 supply and it worked, however the low-battery light was on. I couldn't get the voltage any lower than that. I'm still not convinced 5.0 volts will cut it. I'll have to test it with the real supply before I spend any money.

I was kinda hoping to get an answer like "just get x,y,z parts from radio shack and hook them up" ... since that doesn't sound like an option, i'll probably just invest in the AnyVolt.

OK, since you have 12 volts available then go to Radio Shack and buy a 7805 regulator and power it off your 12 volt supply. However, do not connect the common (ground) of the 7805 to common. Try placing a simple 1N4001 diode in the ground path with cathode to common. That will increase the output of the 7805. Additionally a resistor could be used or even a pair of diodes in series. I would approach it that way.

Ron

No luck. I tested out the 5v, and it worked OK, but after I added 10ft cable run, the camera would power off under normal function.

I think I going to go use the unregulated 12V supply and hook up a LM8706. It'll be cheaper than getting the AnyVolt, plus the current is limited to 0.35A at 6V .. which I think might not cut it.

You won't find a 7806 at Radio Shack but will find all the 7805s you could want as well as some basic 1N4002 diodes. What I suggested would work just fine using a 7805. However, you can order a 7806 and go that route as long as they will ship a single unit.

Ron

Ya, I was trying to come-up with something for the weekend, but now that it has past, I don't mind waiting for an order. Thanks for the original reply. If I knew that the 5V was definitely not going to work, I would have tried to wire up the 7805 before the weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back