Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

64bit shift register with parallel load

Status
Not open for further replies.

yugatharan

I want a shift register with 64/32 bits which have to be loaded parallely and shifted serially.please help me to find out the proper IC.:confused:

Why not just cascade some 8bit ones like the 74HC164, 4094, etc. I doubt you'll find a 64bit one.

kchriste's right, cascading multiple 8 bit devices is a simple sollution.

Take any eight 8 bit shift registers and connect the DAT pin on each one to a unique pin, for example RB0 through RB7. Throw eight bytes onto this 8 pin bus with a CLK pulse after each byte. The 1st byte should contain all of the bit 7 values, one bit for each shift register. The 2nd byte should contain all of the bit 6 values, one bit for each shift register. And so on through the 8th byte which contains all of the bit 0 values, one bit for each shift register.

I use a scheme similar to this to load up 64 bits for a matrix display "scan" cycle in about 4.8-usecs.

Attachments

• Matrix Display (10 pin design).PNG
    Matrix Display (10 pin design).PNG
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,683
Last edited:
On re-reading your post I'm not sure my suggestion is what you're looking for. If that's the case, I apologize Sir.

Mike

so you want a parallel load (input), serial shift (output) register, that is 64 bits wide?

a few ideas come to my mind:

1) use eight 74HC165 parallel-load serial shift registers and 4017 counter to step through the register one byte at a time (toggle the shift/load pin)

2) use four 16bit i2c IO expanders

3) use two inexpensive micrcontrollers (like the 16f74 or 16f877a) as 32bit parallel load serial shift registers like the 165, but program them to support cascading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back