Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad777

I got my hands on motorola 68000 64-pin dip processor.

I am thinking about making a computer.(nothing fancy)

So lets start with RAM.

Can I connect some SRAM directly to processor? (maybe 16 MB of it.)

What mem chip is good for this and possibly in dip package?

Back in those days 512KB of RAM was common, with simple expansion to 1MB - you probably can't use cheap modern memory, you would need to find memory from that period.

I seem to remember paying £300+ or so for an extra 8MB or so.

It seems a fairly pointless occupation though, if you want 68000 just buy an Amiga off Ebay or similar, otherwise you're going to need to write an OS of some kind for it, and need an EPROM programmer as well. For thta matter an Amiga would probably be the cheaper source of RAM as well.

Do you think 68000 + 16 MB beats any uC ?

Depends what you want it to do - it would certainly be a pretty powerful machine - but it's not a uC it's a full-blown and high spec uP.

While it's not as powerful as modern PC's, it would be more powerful than PC's many years more modern than the 68000.

A 64 pin DIP isn't exactly small. You can buy complete modern embedded MPUs for under $20 with everything included and very small. PIC32MX695L for example.

Thanks for part number, I downloaded datasheet.

All uC s are low on ram. Is it possible to add ram chips to this one?

Yes, usually there's not much use to many MBytes of RAM on a uC, but there are uC's with external memory controllers that you can add RAM modules to. I know a few ARM's have that and I'm assuming there are PIC32's, AVR32's, etc.. that have an external memory bus.

An old 68000 with the full setup is still not going to beat a current 80 or 100Mhz uC. That's not even including the crazy Cortex-A8 ARM's or ARM9's.

If you want to try your hand at video games you might want to take a look at the Parallax Propeller as it can generate composite video. The 68000 was used in a NEO-GEO along with a Z80 back in the 1990. Very little RAM in a video console, it's ROM or CD access that's king.

What would be a good solution for single serial bus with multiple actuators+drivers?

Actuators+drivers being step or DC motor with rotary encoder and it would need h-bridges, and uC s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…