Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7.2V battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiak

Hello All,

I have a project that uses 6 AAA 1.2V rechargeable batteries to make 7.2V. I would like to charge the batteries without removing them from where they are, so I would like to charge the full 7.2V battery pack. What would be the best and simplest way to do that - I'm ok with charging times up to 10h.

- I have several 4 AAA chargers at home, any suggested modification to one of these?

- 7.2V is quite common in the RC world. If I go to an RC shop and get a 7.2V charger from there, is there any possibility that could do it?

- Any other idea?

Many thanks,
Cheers,
Rui

A simple charger that is only a timer must match the mAh rating of the battery cells.
According to Energizer's datasheets, their old obsolete Ni-Cad AAA cells had a capacity of only 220mAh and were charged at 22mA for 14 hours.
Their new Ni-MH AAA cells have a capacity of 850mAh and are charged at 85mA for 14 hours.

If you use a fast charger then it must match the chemistry of the cells.

thank you for the quick reply, but it's still not clear how I can solve my problem.

As I mentioned, I have a 7.2V pack made up of 6 AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries. I would like to be able to charge the whole pack, without removing the individual batteries and placing them in the charger. The common chargers for those batteries charge 4 batteries at a time.

May I simply connect my 6 cell pack to a 4 cell charger and wait longer for it to charge?

May I simply connect my 6 cell pack to a 4 cell charger and wait longer for it to charge?
Four Ni-MH cells in series are about 5.6V when fully charged. If the charger is simply a current-limited timer then its output voltage is probably 6V.
Six Ni-MH cells in series are about 8.4V when fully charged. If the charger is simply a current-limited timer then its output voltage is probably 9.0V.
Therefore six cells in series won't even begin to charge from a 6V four-cells charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back