7 seg LED array controller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUCErulz

I wish to build a circuit for controlling a 7 segment display. However, in place
of the "segment", I will have a row/column of either 4 or 5 LED's. The LED's will be mounted as a 4-5 inch display to represent a single digit. I need to be able to advance the digit in numerical order using a contact switch. ie. tap the switch 4 times to display a "4". Two more taps to display a "6"
etc.

Elementary for this awesome group, I know. I promise not to ask you guys to conduct a basics class for me- but a nudge in the right direction would be great!

If it helps or matters-

I am considering a source voltage of 9 volts and I think that my LED's will drop about 1.7 volts ea. at a forward current of around 20mA. Perhaps an array of 4 such LED's, comprising a "segment" would require a 120 ohm 1/4 W resistor and the entire 16 LED display, if all on at the same time would draw at the most, 80mA

Is there an IC suitable for this little operation? thanks!

I have seen a 5x4 led matrix display article on "Instructables" that may be of use to you.
**broken link removed**

FPGA or uC.... uh, I'm sure the OP can whip one of those out in no time....

Do you really need to make it an LED matrix? If you got a seven segment LED display, you could use a bcd counter (74xx90) and 7 segment driver (74xx47). You'd need to debounce the switch, probably with a flip flop.

If you use a matrix, you will need to drive individual LEDs. look into using a 4017 decade counter for the number. You can drive the specific LEDs for a number but you will need to use a driver transistor for each one. Use diodes to control which LEDs are energized by a specific digit drive transistor. Lots of diodes but doesn't require a microcontroller or fpga...

since this is probably a homework assignment, you are on your own from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…