Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7 Segment LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Not to be confused with the alphanumeric type that uses 8 bit data Lines.

Ive forgotten how 7 Segment LCDs work, I know that they need a Frequency of 30hz or greater to be connected to the backplane (or common as some call it), but as for the actual segment activation, Do They need to have a clock, or Can they be High Or low (such as in turning on or off 7 segment LED displays? ).

segment activation: the segments need to be driven with the reverse phase of the backplane.

Direct DC will very quickly destroy and LCD display.

Check out the PIC 16F917 datasheet, there is a section on driving LCD glass.

Ahh, I see. Lit segments need to be Out Of Phase with the clock, while unlit segments need to be in phase. Hrm, Ultimately, I want to be able to use them with the PIC18F Series, I figure use one of the PWM outputs as the backplane and use XOR gates to control which segments are lit up, that way I can use code that was orignally for a LED 7 segment display and adapt it for a LCD display

Ah, I remember this stuff now, this page brings back memories
**broken link removed**

EDIT-Actually, thats two many IC's that Id have to use. Probably easier to keep it in BCD and use a 74HC454

Last edited:
National Semiconductor makes a couple chips designed to drive this type of LCD. The part numbers are MM5452 and MM5453. They have 32 (MM5452) or 33 (MM5453) outputs and use a synchronous serial interface for data transfer.
**broken link removed**

Jeff

National Semiconductor makes a couple chips designed to drive this type of LCD. The part numbers are MM5452 and MM5453. They have 32 (MM5452) or 33 (MM5453) outputs and use a synchronous serial interface for data transfer.
**broken link removed**

Jeff

hi,
I have used the MM5453 many times, its an excellent device for driving LCD's.
On board R/C back plane osc.
The size of MM enables it to be mounted under the LCD, between the LCD sockets.

If you use transmission type LCD's a strip of reflecting foil, stuck to the MM and a couple of wire ended 5V lamps gives a good result.

Also the 4 connecting wires [twisted] can be upto 10ft in length.

If you need to drive a 5 digit LCD or more, use HEF4035 S/R's and connect the T/C on the 4035 to the back plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back