70,000mcd LED @ 20ma....is this possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Found these LEDS, but they seem a bit to good to be true.

70,000mcd @ 2.0v - 20ma

What do you think
Heres the link for more specs

**broken link removed**

I am using 5mm 20K mcd LEDs for a project. Latest technology for non surface mount components. They are Static sensitive as well.

Seems too good to be true. 70K from a normal 5mm LED is in the future.

Who knows??

Tread with caution is all I can say

Cheers

Just saw now.....Forward Bias Voltage should be 3.5V per LED. These things are running @ 2.0V.........

Something either truly innovative or fishy here.

Last edited:
The LED is RED so of course it is 2.0V, not 3.5V like a blue or white LED.

They take an ordinary LED and stick it in a tightly focussed case. Its beam is only 6 degrees or 12 degrees because both numbers are spec'd. The graph shows 10 degrees.
If it is not pointing directly at you then you might not see it. I like wide angle bright LEDs.

Thanks. I missed the fact that they are Red. My mind is totally focused on White and Bright.

Cheers

Last edited:
It's still questionably bright, but the fact it is so focused makes it more likely then if it was 30 degrees wide.

A little laser pointer is extremely bright because all of its energy is focused into a very narrow beam. But it isn't focused, it is coherent.
The Chinese LED also concentrates all of its energy into a very narrow beam.

ok looks like i need a higher power led,

going to look at 0.5 and 1 watt leds, i need a large area light source with around 5,000 lumens total,

I have to use leds, lots of small lower power leds rather than one big one

Most high intensity leds have a narrow beam.

70,000mcd?
Seems overrated.
The chinese like to overrate stuff!

Most high intensity leds have a narrow beam.
No.
Philips Luxeon high power LEDs have very high intensity and a very wide beam angle.
It takes power to make high intensity and spread it around.

As trite as it is to quote wikipedia:

So, if one was to use a certain LED package shape, its more than possible, but not always practical for most 5mm/10mm LED applicaitons (panel indicators). Note the angle of those LED's (as audioguru pointed out). 6 degrees! treble that angle (as many high brightness LED's are 20 degree's), and at the same distance the area of illumination would be NINE times larger. So its intensity would be 9 times smaller, or 7-8000mcd. Thats a common figure for 20 degree LED's. Converting mcd to Lumens wouldn't be useful, because the emitted light isn't lambertian, more like a ring/halo of light, with artifacts, not so bright in the middle.

So at 20ma, yeah I would say might be possible, just not a very practical angle (except beam breakers or perhaps light communications). The 'mcd' of an LED is generally misleading, and can be a dreadful indication of brightness unless one checks the angle. If you epoxy a clear LED into acrylic, the lens-air interface pretty much disappears but the so called 'high brightness' ones still seem to kick out a fair bit of light.

Hello,

Yes, as others have pointed out, if the light is focused it can be be much brighter. Some manufacturers provide data on the beam pattern so you can investigate how much is going in what direction in front of the LED by checking out the data sheet.

Tight (narrow) beams are good for longer distances but not very good for close up work unless the area to be viewed is small. The narrow beam can also be good for indicator lamps.

Last edited:
going to look at 0.5 and 1 watt leds, i need a large area light source with around 5,000 lumens total,

I have to use leds, lots of small lower power leds rather than one big one

You will need about 15 XP-Gs running at 1A, a suitable powersupply, and especially GOOD COOLING.
With small 20mA LEDs, you'd need hundreds.

Cooling is no problem, they will be underwater. I have found some 10w 600 lumen leds, 10 of these should put me roughly where i need to be. just gotta figure out how to spread all that light around

Last edited:
You will need about 15 XP-Gs running at 1A, a suitable powersupply, and especially GOOD COOLING.
With small 20mA LEDs, you'd need hundreds.

That is the problem with my project right now. Not getting the brightness I need.
I am using 20K mcd LEDS. 5mm driven directly from 220V @ 20Ma.

24 of them driven with a very simple reliable circuit. The high power LED'S want a minimum of 350 Ma. My simple /cheap/reliable PSU can only accommodate around 30 Ma. So basically..I am (swearing removed). Damn.

Much more work on my side is necessary.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
actually iv just found another led, 100w 6000lumen. what a beast 32v @ 3A 110degree angle. nice

100W LEDs certainly exist - although they are either very expensive, or not really 100W. How much is the one you've found, cobra?

A 100W LED that operates at 32V is simply made from ten 3.2V/10W LEDs in series or from forty 3.2V/2.5W LEDs in series-parallel.
Here is a cheap little 4W LED light bulb that makes a very narrow beam of light:

Attachments

• LED light bulb.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 241
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…