Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

741 cross-over distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Dear Komrades,

There seems to be some cross-over distortion present at the output from my 741 at very low frequencies ( 6Hz ). Basically I have a simple integrator circuit with a 10uF input capacitor and a 260Ω feedback resistor. The crossover distortion was very bad when I used smaller capacitor and larger feedback resistor. With larger cap and smaller resistor the distortion is barely noticeable but it is still there. I suspect that the poorly designed class AB amplifier inside the 741 is the cause. I would like to know what I could do to eliminate this problem.

Thanks

The lousy old 741 opamp is 40 years old this year. It is noisy, has a full output frequency response to only 9kHz and has distortion.

TL07x opamps are much better. They have low noise, wide bandwidth (100kHz) and low distortion (0.003%).

The new LM4562 dual opamp has only 0.00003% distortion.

None of these opamps can drive a load as low as 260 ohms.
Please post your schematic.

Dear Komrades,

There seems to be some cross-over distortion present at the output from my 741 at very low frequencies ( 6Hz ). Basically I have a simple integrator circuit with a 10uF input capacitor and a 260Ω feedback resistor. The crossover distortion was very bad when I used smaller capacitor and larger feedback resistor. With larger cap and smaller resistor the distortion is barely noticeable but it is still there. I suspect that the poorly designed class AB amplifier inside the 741 is the cause. I would like to know what I could do to eliminate this problem.

Thanks
Can you post a schematic? The circuit you described sounds like a differentiator, not an integrator.

Hi,

Yes, it sounds like a diff not an integrator.

Also, some of the older op amps do better with a load to ground like
a 10k or maybe 1k resistor. The LM358 is famous for requiring a 10k
to ground to help keep distortion lower. Try a resistor to ground to
help, but as others have said, a better op amp is the real key, if
that is possible of course.

Thank you all for the quick reply. I apologies for the long delay in my reply. At the moment and very little time in school due to unusual amount of lab work involved. Further I made a mistake by calling this circuit an "integrator" when it is actually a "differentiator" op-amp. Below you can see the schematic diagram.

**broken link removed**

The lousy old 741 opamp is 40 years old this year. It is noisy, has a full output frequency response to only 9kHz and has distortion.

TL07x opamps are much better. They have low noise, wide bandwidth (100kHz) and low distortion (0.003%).

The new LM4562 dual opamp has only 0.00003% distortion.

None of these opamps can drive a load as low as 260 ohms.
Please post your schematic.

Thank you for your suggestion. Here is my simple schematic:

**broken link removed**

Perhaps I can use a smaller cap and larger resistor and hopefuly not encounter any cross-over distortion with the above mentioned op-amps.

The values of both 260 ohm resistors is far too low. Use 2k ohms minimum so that the opamp doesn't current-limit.

The values of both 260 ohm resistors is far too low. Use 2k ohms minimum so that the opamp doesn't current-limit.

Thanks. I will use a 1uF cap and a 2.6K resistor than...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back