Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74h259 & 74hc541

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm trying to copy a circuit but I can't find the exact components mentioned on the diagram:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/09/iocard_master_64.pdf

Today I purchased a Texas Instruments CD74HC154EN chip in place of the 74HC154N mentioned on the diagram, hopefully the sales person was correct in saying it should do the trick.

However, they didn't have any alternatives for the other 2 chips I need i.e. the ones mentioned in the title:

I was suggested the alternative for the 74H259 as 74HCT259N

**broken link removed**

and instead of the 74HC541 I was suggested to get the 74HC541N

**broken link removed**

1.) just wanted to double check that everything is looking good so far

2.) HC I was told to mean High Currect... what does H mean then? Just high?

What do the other extentions mean e.g. in the case of the TI chip I purchased, what does CD mean? What does the N mean on the end of 74HC541N?

T I was told means it's been tested for thermal something or rather so I'm guessing this chip simply works to higher tempereatures.

Thanks, much appreciated guys.

As you perhaps know, the last three or four digits are the basic logic type for the chip. All 54/74 devices with those same last numbers perform the same function. The differences are the type of fabrication used to make the chip. The H, HC, HCT, etc. are various CMOS designs with different speed and/or current output drive. (I think the H stands for High speed). For low to moderate speed applications they are generally interchangeable. These devices are significantly faster than the old original CD prefix (not 54/74) CMOS devices which have a different number ID for the various logic functions.

Those with no letters after the 54/74 or an LS are TTL bipolar types with different logic levels than the CMOS versions so may not be interchangeable with the CMOS equivalents.

Hello,
I'm in the same situation as you, did you find the solution, what model you have selected
Thank you for your help

Harry, you have resurrected a 2-year old thread. The OP has probably lost interest by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back